Copying Choreography off Youtube?

I've joined a new school and one of the other girls has asked if I'd do a duet with her. We're spookily well matched (I actually got mistaken for her at a performance the other week), so we'd make a good duo.

We've started talking about what to dance, and she sent me a couple of Youtube clips saying "I like this music". However in discussion, it's becoming clear that she's not just talking about the music - her intention is for us to copy the whole choreography from the Youtube clip.

I feel uncomfortable about that, and I'm not sure if I'm right to feel that way, or if I'm just being pedantic. After all, we'll only be performing at our school hafla so it's not as if it's a big deal. Still don't feel quite right about it though. Thoughts?

Shanazel

Since a school hafla come under "education" and you aren't making money from it, I'd say give credit where credit is due and not worry too much about it.

Ariadne

Absolutely give credit and if you ever decide to perform it anywhere besides a school hafla get permission first.

dancefever

Better ask permission first. It's just respectful and nice to do it that way even though they probably won't ever notice if you did not borrow their choreography.

Better ask permission first. It's just respectful and nice to do it that way even though they probably won't ever notice if you did not borrow their choreography.

That's what I felt too, so I did contact the choreographer and ask her permission. I did make it clear I was in Australia and only wanted to use it for a school hafla. She said no, we could use it only if we paid her for a series of private lessons via Skype. So we didn't use it.

Shanazel

Well, that was a perfect way to deter a person from ever wanting to take any kind of classes from her. Had she said, "Certainly you may use my choreography for a school performance. Just give me credit and should you ever be interested in furthering your skills, I teach private lessons via Skype. Please let others know as well."

Such generosity is called a loss leader and is a time-honored business practice.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That's what I felt too, so I did contact the choreographer and ask her permission. I did make it clear I was in Australia and only wanted to use it for a school hafla. She said no, we could use it only if we paid her for a series of private lessons via Skype. So we didn't use it.

Uh-huh. Some of the biggest names in the business are like this - or worse. Run, do not walk, away...