2017: World-wide weather watchers

Shanazel

Tah-dah! New thread spinning off from http://bellydanceforums.net/threads/19568-The-weather-around-the-world-2016/page7

It rained all night and part of the day here, a nice soaking rain like we so rarely get in this semi-arid country. Snowed in the high country but fortunately did not make it down to the mile above sea level mark where my house sits. It is only mid-April and I know we are likely to get more snow in the next month or so but right now we are enjoying a most beautiful and unusual spring.

Ariadne

Here's it's warming up. Summer is coming and it's starting to feel like it. Mind you our weather has been unpredictable this year so for all I know we could get a cold wave tomorrow. In the meantime it's been perfect for disk golf. Anyone else play disk golf?

Shanazel

There is a field (court? arena? course?) set up for it along the river but I've never played. That's where you throw Frisbees into baskets, right?

Ariadne

Yes. They make specialty disks that can throw further then regular frisbees and are more stable in the wind but you can use any you have. It's actually a lot of fun.

Daimona

Hi from Costa Blanca, Spain.
25 C and sunny with a mild breeze.
*Time to go swimming in the gentle mediterranean waves*

Ok.. got back home 12h ago. 0 C and the snow was pouring down. The plane nearly didn't land at the airport because of the weather.
Driving home from the airport was also interesting, as the cars drove at half speed at the motorway and I could see several cars having problems because of the snow.

Quite a contrast from playing at the beach only wearing sandals and summer clothes a few hours earlier.

Shanazel

Started snowing this morning about 6:30 and is still drifting down. I knew it was inevitable (it's only April, after all) but I coudl've done without it. Tomorrow I fly down to Texas for a few days to visit an aunt and cousin. Looks like I'll be landing in rain and taking off again in a thunderstorm. Here rain translates into cooler weather but there it stays warm. No idea what to take to wear but suspect I'll be inside most of the visit since my aunt is movement impaired.

Ariadne

The weather is cooling off here too. By next Saturday it's expected to rise to 70F. Nice weather for a picnic. Cool, slightly windy, and overcast. Hopefully it won't be to cool.

Daimona

Somewhere in this beautiful valley, there is a road covered in 4-5m of snow.
[video=youtube_share;-ofGq4usOtY]https://youtu.be/-ofGq4usOtY[/video]

Daimona

Of course I could have answered "experience" or "trial and error". ;-)
Poles are also common here.

Daimona

Quite pleasant weather today. Not too hot, not too cold. Partly sunny, partly cloudy and a mild breeze.

I observed the wind and clouds for a while while waiting out door: On the ground, the wind came from the east. The puffy clouds above blew in from the west and then there was a layer of clouds above coming in from the east. Fascinating.

Ariadne

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Salt Lake City UT
305 PM MDT Tue Jun 27 2017

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for the western two thirds of
Utah and southwest Wyoming.

.DAY ONE...This Afternoon and Tonight

Hazardous fire weather conditions will continue across much of
the area into this evening due to very dry conditions and gusty
winds.

The smoke plume from the Brian Head Fire will continue to affect
portions the central and eastern outlook area. Locally poor air
quality and reduced visibilities will result from the increase in
smoke.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Wednesday through Monday

Hazardous fire weather conditions are expected across most of
the outlook area again Wendesday as it will remain windy, warm
and dry.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Weather spotters are encouraged to report significant weather
conditions according to standard operating procedures.

Red Flag Warning

URGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Salt Lake City UT
254 PM MDT Tue Jun 27 2017
...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 10 PM MDT WEDNESDAY
FOR WIND AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY FOR FIRE WEATHER ZONES 492 AND

The National Weather Service in Salt Lake City has issued a Red
Flag Warning for wind and low relative humidity...which is in
effect from 10 AM to 10 PM MDT Wednesday.

* AFFECTED AREA...Fire Weather Zone 492 Central Utah West Desert
and Fire Weather Zone 497 Mojave Desert.

* WINDS...Southwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.

* RELATIVE HUMIDITY...Afternoon minimums as low as 5-9 percent.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds and low humidities will combine to cause
critical fire weather conditions tomorrow.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now...or are imminent. A combination of
strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.

To translate (encapsulate?), it's really really hot- and dry, and there's a really bad fire in one of our National Parks.

Utah's Brian Head Fire Now Largest Active Wildfire in U.S.; 13 Homes Burned

Shanazel

To translate (encapsulate?), it's really really hot- and dry, and there's a really bad fire in one of our National Parks.

How did you get to be such a brilliant translator?

Our weather continues to be nice though we had several ferocious fronts blow through yesterday that took some small branches down. Seems to be a good year for snakes; we have several in the yard. I don't mind having them but I wish they'd stay off the patio and front steps. Stepped on one poor little guy a couple of days ago and would like to avoid repeating the experience. He was under the arch of my foot so lucked out and didn't get squashed severely.

Daimona

I'd gladly send you some of the rain we've had this summer if we can get a small portion of the heat in return....

Ariadne

How did you get to be such a brilliant translator?
I'm talented that way. ;)

Our weather continues to be nice though we had several ferocious fronts blow through yesterday that took some small branches down. Seems to be a good year for snakes; we have several in the yard. I don't mind having them but I wish they'd stay off the patio and front steps. Stepped on one poor little guy a couple of days ago and would like to avoid repeating the experience. He was under the arch of my foot so lucked out and didn't get squashed severely.
Oh, the poor thing. I take it you don't have a lot of poisonous snakes there?

I'd gladly send you some of the rain we've had this summer if we can get a small portion of the heat in return....
Deal! Now we just have to get Mother Nature to cooperate and we'll both be set.