Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Farasha. She is now. She texted about an hour after I wrote the post above and was feeling worse. I sent her to the hospital where they gave her fluids, anti-nausea and anti-acid meds. She was off to work this morning, still sore but functioning. I thought for a little while I was going to have to get right back in the car and drive right back to Denver.

Have I mentioned how little I like Denver? Can hardly wait until she moves out of downtown and further north.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your daughter is on the mend, food poisoning is just the pits Have your roses survived .... sure hope so, or at least with a little "coddling" will live to bloom again.
    Here's a couple of photos of my China doll plant. the full view was taken in 2016 after being trimmed back a lot during winter The other one branch heavily laden with the tiny purple flowers this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	china doll 2017.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	10923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_0224.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	10922  
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out it wasn't food poisoning but very bad gastritis... and guess who got it a day after leaving Denver?

The battle against grass is going nicely but the recent rain and snow brought out the dandelions in force. I give up. The chemicals are coming out and those yellow suckers are going DOWN.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Left off the first part of my last reply.

The China Doll plant is gorgeous, Mosaic. I'd love to have one to tumble down my rock wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    The first year we lived in this apartment, I tried container gardening. Epic fail. I feel ya, Mosaic.
    I rent so I do container gardening when my health allows. There are tricks to it but it really isn't that hard. Where I live the biggest challenge is just the heat. There are these crystals though that will absorb water and then release it slowly. It helps keep the soil from drying out as quickly. My favorite things to grow are ghost eggplant and okra.

Post Thanks / Like

If I could I'd send you a cutting, they grow quite well from cuttings, maybe you can source one from somewhere in the States. I cut mine back quite a bit during late autumn/early winter, & it goes crazy during spring & summer & constantly flowers. It would look amazing cascading over your rock wall.

Hope both you & your daughter are fully recovered from the gastro bug. Nasty little critter those gastro bugs.
    ~M
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha, my azaleas, violas & marguerite daisys do very well in pots, with little care. In the heat of summer I do cover the pots with shade cloth because they do burn. I also have 3 hydrangeas and 2 gardenias in pots, they also thrive without too much care. I have one gardenia which is horribly pot bound & it just keeps growing & flowering like nobodies business, I really do have to repot it, it's a wonder it hasn't turned up it toes to be honest
    ~M

Post Thanks / Like

Today is my last full day off until Saturday and the first day that I feel back to normal. My poor daughter is still not completely well and working nights is not helping her any. She is still in training at the police department and had discovered that she "really, really hates nights: more than no chocolate and dead puppies."

There are a number of things I need to do today (catch up! catch up!) but I am going to treat myself to planting my roses. Yesterday and the day before, what little time I managed to be up and around was devoted to killing dandelions and tiny disgusting tendrils of the field bindweed that does its best each year to take over the known world.

Alas, Mosaic, even if I track down a China Doll it would not be happy on my rock wall. Checking on line I discovered that it is a zone 10-11 plants (minimum temp 30 degrees F) and I live in Zone 4 (at best) with sudden breath-taking dips into Zone 3 (-30 degrees F). In winter, even inside my house would probably be too cold for it. I brought a bougainvillea home from Texas once and it was miserable despite all my efforts to make it feel at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh golly, I hope your daughter feels better ASAP. Sounds like she's having a tough time getting rid of it. Are you feeling any better?

Speaking of sick, I've been battling something weird since Wednesday evening, and it finally took me down for the count yesterday. Don't know what it is, but I don't want it anymore! xP

If I had more time to devote to it, I would try container gardening again. I love my tomatoes and peppers!

Post Thanks / Like

You can find kits for tomatoes and peppers that give you everything you need. I've always wanted to try those pots that hang your tomato plants upside down myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    In the heat of summer I do cover the pots with shade cloth because they do burn.
    Oh yes, shade cloth! I forgot to mention the shade cloth. It is a necessity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast