Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not telling you what you can and can't find offensive. I am disagreeing with your conclusions about appropriation.

I knew you were going to get pissed about this, Darshiva, and take it as a personal attack which it is not. Had I realized you disliked "Dar", I'd not have used it. All you had to do at any time during the last eight years was say, "Please don't call me that" instead of waiting to blow up at me because you dislike something else I say.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

So your use of veil to drape it over yourself is completely counter productive. It obscures the movement of the dance and you lack the skill to make it interesting. (In the third dance I started to wonder if it was a fight between you and the veil and whether it was going to win.) Even for a skilled dancer such a move is used very briefly so as to not lose the audiences interest. If you are going to use veils, and I completely understand wishing to (veil work is a favorite of mine I don't see enough of), I recommend you study several instruction videos on the subject and practice a lot. I personally have liked the ones by Shoshanna and Aziza but there are plenty of good videos out there.

Other then that there's just this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Your grace and desire to express yourself in dance are great starting points for a sincere study of dance but they alone don't give you the vocabulary or musicality to create something genuinely moving. Your vocabulary of movements is very small and not well practiced which is why so many of them are lacking polish (catching your foot instead of smoothly sliding it forward, entangling the veil). Just practicing each movement in your existing vocabulary until you can execute it beautifully will improve the performances.
    Good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Veils. They look so simple and yet they can be lengths of silk chiffon Hades. I've been convinced they were out to get me ever since my first slip and fall on one.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Veils. They look so simple and yet they can be lengths of silk chiffon Hades. I've been convinced they were out to get me ever since my first slip and fall on one.
    Oh dear...

I'm sure Shanazel already knows this QUITE well, based on her above anecdote - but since the subject arises, can I briefly segue to the very first thing I tell my students when I teach my veil workshop?

If you remember NOTHING else, remember this: When you drop or otherwise dispose of a veil, put it somewhere well away from your dance space, get the Hell away from it, and STAY the Hell away from it! If you dance too close to that veil discarded on the floor, the audience WILL stop watching your dance and watch your veil instead. I've seen it all too many times - they (the audience) instinctively know its dangerous. Unless your name is Adore', of course!

Same goes for shawls, Isis wings, and even swords, canes, candelabras, snakes, old tin cans, and anything else you bring onstage with you!

This ends this public service safety reminder and brazen thread hijack.
    Last edited by Zorba; 04-26-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't dropped or disposed of the damn thing at the time. It was tucked in my belt and had slithered its way out without my noticing until I stepped on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't dropped or disposed of the damn thing at the time. It was tucked in my belt and had slithered its way out without my noticing until I stepped on it.
    That happens too! The joys of prop dancing! Between what I've done myself, seen, heard about in class, or heard about in dressing room scuttlebutt; I could write a book! Like the dancer with veil and the carnivorous ceiling fan!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    That happens too! The joys of prop dancing! Between what I've done myself, seen, heard about in class, or heard about in dressing room scuttlebutt; I could write a book! Like the dancer with veil and the carnivorous ceiling fan!
    You mean the 1001 Ways To Die episode? 8P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    You mean the 1001 Ways To Die episode? 8P
    Yea, that one. Right after the segment on the famous teacher's 45 minute military-inspired warm up routine.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. I dance as a starter in bellydance. But really I dance some years. I would like to listen to ours comments about me. What do uou think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annet99 View Post
    Hello. I dance as a starter in bellydance. But really I dance some years. I would like to listen to ours comments about me. What do uou think?
    HAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMM MM!!!!!!!!

*regains composure* This is a wonderful performance, I enjoyed it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast