Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes I would like a feedback

Hello,
    I am working on a dance system with fundamentals strongly in belly dance.
    This is an easy prototype, where it can be seen just the "outcome" result of the principles.
    Nothing too serious about the internal movements.
    Can any of you give me some feedback of the visual result?

thank you very much, I will appreciate all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35khAtoovqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apY5PUK7kqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrXB3436pU

First two are dedicated to Selene , the last one to Hecate.
    In all performances I like to have improvisation even a little bit makes the show un re-doable!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pagan and I still dont get why you're shrouded. It's not a religious thing that I'm aware of in wicca so what gives? I cant see any of your moves due to the shroud and poor lighting so I can't advise you on the physicality of your dance but I will tell you this much: if your students cant see what you're doing you'd better be really gifted at describing every nuance or they aren't going to get it.

Also, what I saw of the arms and posture and music choices it looks like gothic bellydance (specifically raqs gothique by ma'isah) so perhaps reseach that genre and make sure you aren't about to hit into her copyright.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for, Sephira, so please excuse me if I give feedback that misses the point.

You are very graceful and I'm always pleased to see people do improv.

I see no connection between these performances and Middle Eastern Dance of any genre. This is liturgical dance, and I don't see any clear vocabulary used in the performances that can be attributed to belly dance as opposed to any other kind of dance. As Darshiva noted, it has elements of Goth dance (which I also don't see as belly dance no matter how many belly buttons are revealed or how many hip circles are produced).

Is this a style you are trying to develop with an eye toward teaching or are you just seeking input for the impact of the performances?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    thank you very much for both feedbacks. I am not wicca, but in those videos I did nothing related much on what I am trying to develop, it is more linked to astrology and sacred geometry.Anyway I don't teach this "belly dance" , so I am not concerned about that , I am concerned about the impact of the performances... this what really matters to me. Yes definatly goth dance rules here. Thank you very much again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SephiraLamour View Post
    Hello,
    thank you very much for both feedbacks. I am not wicca, but in those videos I did nothing related much on what I am trying to develop, it is more linked to astrology and sacred geometry.Anyway I don't teach this "belly dance" , so I am not concerned about that , I am concerned about the impact of the performances... this what really matters to me. Yes definatly goth dance rules here. Thank you very much again.
    So why are you appropriating sacred wicca imagery?
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Sephira, thank you for sharing these videos. I know that was an act of courage. Speaking as a long time dance teacher, I want to encourage you to continue to dance and just as importantly to study dance as opposed to simply moving in time to music to express yourself.

Your willingness to improvise is laudatory and your efforts toward creating personal expression through dance are commendable, but there is nothing in any of these performances to lift them out of the ordinary. Swirling dances with obscuring veils of mystery are common among dancers who (forgive me) lack any real depth of training in any particular form of dance. Your grace and desire to express yourself in dance are great starting points for a sincere study of dance but they alone don't give you the vocabulary or musicality to create something genuinely moving. Your vocabulary of movements is very small and not well practiced which is why so many of them are lacking polish (catching your foot instead of smoothly sliding it forward, entangling the veil). Just practicing each movement in your existing vocabulary until you can execute it beautifully will improve the performances.

Keep working. Study different dance forms, learn where one ends and another begins. You have made decent beginning and I hope you will enjoy the journey you've started.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

So why are you appropriating sacred wicca imagery?
    Appropriating "sacred wicca imagery" that is in turn appropriated from something else? I don't bother to get irritated very often but this really is too much, Dar.

Wicca did not create candles, veils, pentacles, sacred geometry, astrology, calling down the moon, songs to the great goddess,
    wands, athames, skyclad dancing, horned gods, or any related imagery. Wicca is not synonymous with paganism nor does it have some
    moral claim to imagery and symbols used across the pagan spectrum. Sephira has as much right to incorporate these things into her
    personal philosophy and art as do wicca, Asatru, kitchen witches, heathens, followers of the Great Cosmic Muffin, or plain old small p pagans like me.

I am BriarRose on http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/res....asp?ForumID=0. If you'd like to continue the discussion, that might be a more appropriate venue and you'd be more than welcome there.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 04-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Selene one - ok. You want feedback as an audience member? I think you need to slow down - less moves and more intent. Also consider you use of directions and space.
    What is your dance background? Looks like a little belly dance to me. Not a problem, but for this maybe do a few terms of contemporary improv or similar where you get forced to look at space, direction, levels and intent.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay - Hecate one. Other than the use of floorwork much as above.
    However, if you want to create a feel for the crone I would not perform in a bra & belt! A slim fitting long dress would be much better.
    And I would consider very carefully whether you want to use a photo of you on the floor with crutch to the camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post

Appropriating "sacred wicca imagery" that is in turn appropriated from something else? I don't bother to get irritated very often but this really is too much, Dar.
    Okay, so I've been really polite about this but I really hate being called Dar.

The other thing is that I am entitled to my opinion and would appreciate not being told what I can & can't find offensive. I don't go telling you to suck it up and accept raqs gothique as an evolution of bellydance that is accepted in the ME and I'd appreciate the same regarding my personal opinions.

Second, it was an actual, genuine question. The op isn't required to answer me any more than I am required to not express my own personal opinions. But I would love to know the answer or I wouldn't have asked.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast