Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you find tough?

I know we are all learners for life when it comes to belly dance but what is the one thing you find tough. I am a male dancer and for me, isolated belly movements are the toughest. I find it damn hard to not move any other part of me when I move my belly. what's your tough spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Roll ups from hips through shoulders. I was never satisfied with the way I did them. Not ever.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

For me it has to be the 3/4 shimmy. That thing just doesn't work out!

Shanazel, I've spent the last three classes trying to teach my ladies the reverse undulation. One them does it in such a way that it looks like she's about to throw up. I reckon anyone in the audience will suddenly push themselves backwards to get away from the mess! If I slow her right down to doing one move at a time, we're good, but as soon as we go to tempo, she loses the "sit" and just does an "upchuck"!

Post Thanks / Like

Gooshies (upward vertical hip figure 8s) are the bane of my existence. I can do Maias (downward vertical hip figure 8s) all day long, but I twist badly with Gooshies. Makes no sense!

Post Thanks / Like

HA! I've never heard the term Gooshie. Learn something new every day.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Roll ups from hips through shoulders. I was never satisfied with the way I did them. Not ever.
    That's something I have improved at in the last few months!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    HA! I've never heard the term Gooshie. Learn something new every day.
    Its what my teachers in Cali called the movement. I've heard others. Probably a Jamila-ism.

Post Thanks / Like

How come Mayas are named, but all the others aren't? There are 4 movements, up and down vertical, and forward and backward horizontal, but only mayas are called mayas. Go figure!

Just my luck that I end one choreo on undulations and start the next class with gooshies. Some days are just sum beach, sum where!

Post Thanks / Like

I just called the upward ones reverse mayas. The forward and backward I called backward and forward hip figure eights. Nope, no one has ever standardized belly dance vocabulary.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard them called "reverse Maias", "upward Maias", "upward hip figure-8s", and even "taxim" (Tribal).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast