Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Singing bellydancer with finger cymbals

Because of my left knee bursitis, which comes on and off depending on circumstances, I haven't been able to drill as much as I'd like to, but I've been able to grab at least a few minutes of dance improv each day. It's been demoralizing not to be able to put in enough practice, but today I decided I would motivate myself to polish my dance by posting a new Youtube video every few days and using that to see what needs work.
    In the video I'm singing with a electronic tanpura drone (I've studied a bit of Hindustani classical music, though my vocal technique is also more fusion), and dancing with finger cymbals (Saroyan's Turkish Delights). I hope you like what you see, please be gentle - I'm aware that I need a more dynamic technique, which is why I'm posting the videos to keep track of my growth.

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to you for learning finger cymbals! Here's my suggestion for the "next step": Move your arms more/use different arm positions when you play the cymbals. If you always play with your arms in the same position, that is where your finger cymbal playing will be locked into. Nice voice, BTW!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, Zorba! And thanks for the compliment, too.

Post Thanks / Like

My best advice - do one thing at a time.

If you want to improve your dance technique, then focus on your dance. Don't distract yourself by adding in finger cymbals and singing. Your brain can only handle a few things simultaneously. If you are approaching your dance technique correctly, your brain is already fully occupied, thinking about keeping your posture correct, holding your core, keeping your weight in the right place, and doing each movement properly. You will make much faster progress if you let it work on those things and don't overload it with extras IMO.
    Last edited by Bellydance Oz; 06-06-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Oz! Thankfully I don't have to perform in public again for a couple of months - I took a sabbatical of sorts for several months while recovering from gallbladder removal last July, and did a house concert last Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't agree with Oz though I do take her point. The human mind is capable of learning more than one thing at a time or none of us would ever make it through school. No better than my brain cells are, I managed to learn to dance, study voice, and work my way through college science courses without ending up in a heap. Time management and independently practicing each facet of what we want to learn helps. that is to say, practice the dance moves in one session then practice zilling in another rather than trying to do both simultaneously before you can do either with some skill.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 06-05-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    ... independently practicing each facet of what we want to learn helps. that is to say, practice the dance moves in one session then practice zilling in another rather than trying to do both simultaneously .
    Shanazel, you do agree with me, it's just that I expressed it badly!

I meant what you said. If the OP's objective to polish her dancing, as she says, then the solution is to work on her dancing on its own. By all means, she can practice zilling and singing separately, but combining them just means she will slow her progress in all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SajiaSultana View Post
    Thanks, Oz! Thankfully I don't have to perform in public again for a couple of months - I took a sabbatical of sorts for several months while recovering from gallbladder removal last July, and did a house concert last Wednesday.
    If you don't have to perform for a couple of months, then I think all the more reason why you should separate your zilling, dancing and singing practice, because you've got the time. By practicing each skill separately you'll progress much faster, then you can put them together again the last couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    Shanazel, you do agree with me, it's just that I expressed it badly!

I meant what you said. If the OP's objective to polish her dancing, as she says, then the solution is to work on her dancing on its own. By all means, she can practice zilling and singing separately, but combining them just means she will slow her progress in all of them.
    Gotcha, honey! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone! I do have plenty of time on account of being chronically unemployed, so it's just a question of using the time in the best way. I was thinking:
    1. singing practice
    2. zilling - basic patterns (singles, 3, 313, 337, 373, 3513),
    zilling to "Yearning" (Raul Fernando)
    3. dance drills
    structured improv to "Yearning"
    I was thinking of using "Yearning" because it has a fairly simple structure but is dramatic, but if it's not suitable for zilling I would appreciate suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast