Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The one suggestion I'll make about Zill practice is to KEEP MOVING! It doesn't have to be complex, and it doesn't have to be the dance you're working on, but you MUST keep both your body and your arms moving. Otherwise, you'll end up zilling in T-Rex arm position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    The one suggestion I'll make about Zill practice is to KEEP MOVING! It doesn't have to be complex, and it doesn't have to be the dance you're working on, but you MUST keep both your body and your arms moving. Otherwise, you'll end up zilling in T-Rex arm position.
    However, doesn't that assume you've already mastered the rhythms and can do them all comfortably? When I started learning both castanets and zills, the method was - first, practice standing still until you've got the rhythms (you can vary the position of the arms, but don't move while practicing). Then, practice those rhythms doing lots of different arm movements, until you can do them all smoothly and without tension. Then add the body.

I picked up my castanets again recently after someone at bellydance class asked me how they worked. If I wanted to play them again, I would definitely need to spend several sessions practising the rhythms without arm or body movements first - and I played castanets for about ten years.
    Last edited by Bellydance Oz; 06-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    ...you can vary the position of the arms, but don't move while practicing...
    You don't have to move in time or rhythm, and you don't have to move fast - but move. Walk slowly while moving arms slowly...

That's how I was taught. YMMV!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SajiaSultana View Post
    I was thinking:
    1. singing practice
    2. zilling - basic patterns (singles, 3, 313, 337, 373, 3513),
    zilling to "Yearning" (Raul Fernando)
    3. dance drills
    structured improv to "Yearning"
    I was thinking of using "Yearning" because it has a fairly simple structure but is dramatic, but if it's not suitable for zilling I would appreciate suggestions.
    I guess it depends what style of belly dance you do. I can't imagine zilling to "Yearning", because I associate zills with joyful, upbeat pieces, never slow dramatic ones. Likewise, if I was practising alone and recovering from illness, I would choose cheerful, infectious music with a beat I can't resist dancing to, to keep my energy up. Have you got some dance drilling DVD's?
    Last edited by Bellydance Oz; 06-07-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think of myself as a fusion bellydancer, although I like studying oriental and folkloric. I was thinking alternatively of doing "Balady Ala Accordion", because I like baladi music and I've worked with the Ranya Renee DVD. I have plenty of drill DVDs, no problem there, and there's always Datura Online if I get in a rut.

Post Thanks / Like

Sajia, please take the following in the spirit in which it is offered from the aspect of someone who has been involved in dance for four decades, who has loved teaching belly dance, and who wants with all her heart to see students excel:

It's nigh on impossible to create an effective fusion from styles one isn't thoroughly familiar with. Too often people announce they do fusion when what they mean is they haven't bothered to learn a classic style or the appropriate music for that style. Hindustani classical music, for example, is not appropriate for belly dance. Neither is Voodoo, Santa Baby, Hips Don't Lie, Non regrette rien, or Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and heaven help me, I've seen "belly dance" done to them all.

If you want to express yourself in a dance unique to you, do so whole-heartedly and be proud of your creation without attempting to somehow legitimize it by connecting it with the name of an established dance genre. What you are doing right now is very interesting and occasionally very lovely indeed. Performance art, creative dance, creative movement to world music, Sajia's dance of the soul- there are many descriptive names for what you are creating. Belly dance is not one of them even though part of your movement vocabulary is borrowed from belly dance.

Bottom line: if you want to be a belly dancer or even a fusion belly dancer, then first you have to learn to belly dance.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

"Creative dance" - I like that. Thank you. Can I still come here for critiques? Because I found what everyone had to say extremely useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SajiaSultana View Post
    "Creative dance" - I like that. Thank you. Can I still come here for critiques? Because I found what everyone had to say extremely useful.
    But of course!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Neither is Voodoo, Santa Baby...
    NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

At least one dancer will do Santa Baby at a Christmas hafla every blasted year!!!! Just shoot me now...

With that said, I know a "Goth Tribal Fusion Chick" who does a darn good job with Voodoo - but it isn't pure Belly Dance as she'll be the first to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes, yes, YES! You are one with the forum folks and I wouldn't give you or your videos up for the world.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast