5/8 dance styles?

Ariadne

That is a really good question... so I asked google.

Evidently Solace did a song called Shoush in 5/8 Rhythm.

Bellydance.one has an article on "20 Middle Eastern Dance Rhythms Simplified" that references Shoush.

17. Shoush
5/8 Rhythm
1 2 3 1 2
D tk tk D T

D _ _ _ t _ k _ T _ _ _ D _ _ _ T _ _ _​

According to the book "Dynamic Belly Dance, The Joyful Journey of Dancemaking and Performing Paperback – May 4, 2007 by Ramona" (p.110) Greek and Turkish BD music does include a 5/8 rhythm.

The "
Near East Dance On-line Text Book ©Natasya Katsikaris" says:

5-beat 5/4 and 5/8 rhythms are rare. 5-beat rhythms appear in Turkish and Greek music, Moroccan Jajuka trance dances, East Indian music, and American Jazz. The related 10/8 rhythm is prevalent in Armenian music & line dances.

There's a dancer, Debora Newberg, in Santa Fe New Mexico who teaches a workshop:
4) Dancing with Odd Rhythms ~ Have fun dancing with Odd Rhythms! Main focus will be on Turkish 9/8 and 7/8, and we’ll also visit the Arabic 10/8 (Samai), the Armenian 10/8, Persian and Moroccan 6/8s and even 11/8 and 5/8!

There is also someone named Tayyar Akdeniz who teaches music and does folk tours in Turkey who evidently does a workshop that covers 5/8 rhythms.

So basically it looks like if you want to know about 5/8 rhythms in BD you should probably ask dancers or musicians who specialize in Greek and Turkish styles.

Daimona

Thanks a lot, Ariadne! This was a lot more than I had even hoped for.

I haven't even heard of shoush, but I do love odd rhythms.

Shanazel

For odd rhythms, you should come listen to my neighbor's car try to run when the temps fall below zero...

Seriously, that is great information. Thanks, both of you.