Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all and thanks for all the replies, which I'm embarrassed to say I wasn't aware of all this time!

I never did find out what the problem was, but I think there are some good points there. I was relatively new to the troupe at the time, and I've discovered all their choreographies are 10-15 years old. Yes, they have been presenting exactly the same show for that length of time! So perhaps the age of the song is an issue.

The choreography doesn't reflect the words in any way. Combine that with the idea that it's "not reverential" enough and that could be the issue. It is a Muslim saying after all, and there we are on stage in a bedlah - even if our tummies are covered, our faces and hair aren't and we're showing a lot of cleavage.

It's not an issue any more, though, because I've decided to step away from that school for various reasons - but I think I'll start a new thread for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is like 5 months too late, but I HIGHLY doubt (As a native Egyptian) that people are offended by the traditional Muslim greeting. I think the issue is that the song is old, but not old enough for people to be nostalgic about it, so people just probably think it's embarrassingly outdated, if that makes any sense?

Like if your troupe used on of Hakim's old songs, and I mean OLD like "Nar" or something, it's like an 80s - early 90s song? people probably would be nostalgic enough to like hearing it, but Alsalmu Alaikom was one of his later songs when he was considered not as good as he used to be. So your issue probably lies there. Personally, I don't like the song and if I was in a wedding or event or whatever and found foreign bellydancers dancing to it I'd just be like "Meh" and wait until they're done and hope they have something better.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, there MizzNaaaa. Long time, no see you!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

As I'm someone who doesn't like most of Hakim's music...
    Last edited by Zorba; 07-27-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Hi, there MizzNaaaa. Long time, no see you!

Hi Shanazel! Yeah I lurk every while but haven't really been active on here. Just saw this last night and felt compelled to put my 2c in about how terrible Alsalamu Alaikom was

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hope you'll contribute more often. I so miss all the lovely folks who used to come around regularly.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto that, you're missed!

Post Thanks / Like

Double ditto!

I know I'm guilty of not being around much either right now but I miss a whole lot of people including you.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread again, I am still baffled about the reaction of the audience. I can only think that some prefer those who are not "native" of the culture should not be performing to their countrypeople's music. I know for a fact that many are very sensitive about how, who and what performs to Om Kalthoum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12