Can This Costume Be Saved? The NEW TPBDC Thread

Shanazel

Perhaps you could work up a dance that incorporates Judy Hop's death scene in Zootopia: "Blood, blood, blood, blood, blood, and- DEATH!" with fistfuls of red glitter tossed into the air instead of red ribbon.

Haven't seen Zootopia? Run quick and get it. Sexy gazelle played by Shakira.

Zootopia-Gazelle-Shakira.jpg

Aniseteph

And then you have to fetch a broom and clear up your red glitter in the stunned silence while the next dancer wonders how she is going to follow your epic glittery death scene, and the MC tries desperately to think of a clever link. Love it.

Back on the first page, the hairy fringe costume clearly belongs at a Dress As Your Pet hafla, and someone has an Afghan Hound.

I like those longer line bras, more when they are a plain design feature than an excuse to slap on more embellishment. And I really like the skirt decoration on the first one back on page 1 that just went along the top edge at the back. Very elegant.

Shanazel

Costumes should enhance the movements of the dance and not put the audience on the edge of their seats anticipating costume failure. Pretty color, some nice decoration. Could be saved.

bd 1a.jpg

Farasha Hanem

It is very pretty, love the color. I'm not a seamstress by any stretch, but I would detach the skirt from the belt and put a casing for elastic where the waistband should be, and layer it over a satin circle skirt (or wear harem pants underneath). I'd also get rid of that one thin chain between the bra cups and make the bra more sturdy. Never been a fan of the drape-type skirts or bras that are held together by faith. @___@

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Costumes should enhance the movements of the dance and not put the audience on the edge of their seats anticipating costume failure. Pretty color, some nice decoration. Could be saved.

View attachment 10953

Holy crap! :shok:

I'm not so concerned with the skirt - if you've got it, flaunt it - but that bra is terrifying!

Amulya

Came across this one. I was thinking, if the middle bit of the cup on the left is removed and adjusted to match the rest of the beading it could be ok? Depending on the belt/skirt of course, that would need the same flower arrangement

Attachments

• IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 17

Amulya

View attachment 10953

ive saved costumes with bras like that. I would find some extra fabric, if there is an accessory that can be used, or maybe from the skirt and use that to remodel the bra: take the middle bit out, replace with bigger middle bit covered with the fabric and embellishments from an accessory. And it would look like it has always been like that.

With this one, you could even use contrasting fabric to fill the gaps in the bra and skirt

Amulya

A really pretty design at its heart before the embellisher got carried away. Lose the bead curtain sleeves and some of the miscellaneous drapery and this is a nice costume.

View attachment 10948

i can't see what the materials used as beads are, from my screen it looks like pebbles. But sure isn't. Replaced with minimal fringe this would work. The mirror pieces would make it extra glittery :)

Farasha Hanem

Came across this one. I was thinking, if the middle bit of the cup on the left is removed and adjusted to match the rest of the beading it could be ok? Depending on the belt/skirt of course, that would need the same flower arrangement

:shok: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED....

Shanazel

Darling, darling Amulya! So happy to see you here. You are the undisputed Queen of the TPBDC threads and have been so missed.

Shanazel

Have we had these yet?

ug 8.jpgug 9.jpgug 11.jpgug 14.jpg

The first one would be nice without the oddly placed blue ribbons across the chest and around the waist. Not a fan of the yellow one but it might be improved if one were to lose the sleeve and echo the hip embroidery on the bra so the latter doesn't look like someone stitched a few extra beads on a piece of yellow lingerie. The green one... I dunno. Hate the shape of the bra cups and don't like the nude/green split. The fourth one is rather nice; I'd like to see the back.

Shanazel

Classic 60s and 70s.

belly dance f.jpgbelly dance g.jpgbelly dance j.jpg

My skirts were positively prudish by comparison. I generally had a half circle skirt in front and a full circle in the back and seamed the sides to mid-thigh. Sigh. I regret not having photos but my then-boyfiend (oops, there's a Freudian slip) took most of them and retained custody when we broke up.

Daimona

Have we had these yet?

View attachment 10955View attachment 10956View attachment 10957View attachment 10958

The first one would be nice without the oddly placed blue ribbons across the chest and around the waist. Not a fan of the yellow one but it might be improved if one were to lose the sleeve and echo the hip embroidery on the bra so the latter doesn't look like someone stitched a few extra beads on a piece of yellow lingerie. The green one... I dunno. Hate the shape of the bra cups and don't like the nude/green split. The fourth one is rather nice; I'd like to see the back.

I second this. The waistband on the first could be nice on a dancer with long torso and would possibly help defining the waist.
The green/nude one - I like the green, and the fact that there is more fabric on the other side than one would think, but I'm not a fan of nude colored costumes.
The black one - Call me prudent, but I'd rather see a full dress with some extra bling on the hip and chest areas. Unfortunately, it seems to be quit transparent as well.

Daimona

Others I came across while exploring the costume world a while back.

View attachment 10963

This was a nice costume - untill I noticed the white ruffled godets. :think: "We have some left over ruffles, why don't we add them to this nice and green left-over costume to add some extra flare?"
Remove them, and I actually like it.

Others I came across while exploring the costume world a while back.

View attachment 10965

Interesting use of lines in this one. "Feeling too skinny lately? Add some extra pounds instantly with this purple love...
Are the diamonds sparke farts or at the hip?
Not to forget the hipnotic chameleoned bra pattern...
The dress itself isn't too bad, though. Too bad about the above mentioned issues. If I would make my version of it, I'd probably let go of all horisontal lines in the fabric panels and let the chiffon start further down to make it more of a mermaid style. Then I'd cover the bra with some purple fabric, integrating it into the dress (getting rid of the red straps) and redecorate it to match the hip decoration. The center of the decorated lines should be a bit further to the front. I'd also replace the red panels with mostly purple panels.

Shanazel

Oh, dear, I didn't notice hoe low (another Freudian slip) that side of the brown dress went at the hip and presumably the back. TMI. Looks like there are black bikini pants under the dress so it must be a tad thin as well. Hmm. Not liking it much following closer examination. Speaking of white ruffled godets:

ug 20.jpg