Can This Costume Be Saved? The NEW TPBDC Thread

Shanazel

This up-to-date version of Amulya's popular Thought-provoking Belly Dance Costume thread comes to you to celebrate being back online after a long downtime.

The emphasis should be not so much on "Oh, good lord, what was the designer thinking?" as it is on thoughtful analysis of design perfections and problems and what might be done about the latter to bring a costume into balance. Posting of outrageously bad/good costumes is acceptable but do try to avoid uninhibited slamming of costumes that are obviously home-sewn with great love and little skill. Professional costumes are fair game.

Shanazel

Starting out with one I really like:

ug 24.jpg

The longer line and more solid foundation of the bra is appealing after so many years of minimalist bras with clear straps and yards of exposed skin. It's plenty sexy yet offers great support with a solid base and wide back. I love the decoration at bust and hips and the subtlety of the skirt decorations along the legs and hem of the skirt.

Shanazel

I want to love this one and almost do...

ug 21.jpg

but the light-colored areas are over-decorated and over-represented so the costume doesn't balance well. Pulling more black into the sleeve might help as would removing some of the glitz from the light areas.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I like #1 as well - I love dem ruffles on the mermaid skirt - but like all mermaid skirts, I wonder about freedom of motion in it. Some are OK, some are almost hobble-skirts!

#2 doesn't do it for me because I'm a symmetrical kind of a guy.

#3? Uh, no comment! :lol:

Daimona

#1 is ok. I'm not too fond of ruffles, but nice and subtle decorations and quite ok. And I would probably mount a modesty panel with matching bling in the cleavage if I would use it.
#2 Agree with Shanazel.
#3 Seconding Zorba. :lol:

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I like the colors of #2, I have a costume that is similar in color - but this one just doesn't do it for me.

Shanazel

I really like the peach and gold concoction on the left and hope it will enlarge enough that you can see it. It has the longer bra line, too. Guess this must be a new "thing" or am I hopelessly behind the times and this is sooooo last week? ;)

ug 28.jpg

Shanazel

A really pretty design at its heart before the embellisher got carried away. Lose the bead curtain sleeves and some of the miscellaneous drapery and this is a nice costume.

ug 5.jpg

Daimona

A really pretty design at its heart before the embellisher got carried away. Lose the bead curtain sleeves and some of the miscellaneous drapery and this is a nice costume.

View attachment 10948

The drape seems to be a bit scarce, so either less - or at least four times as much... :)

Just for Zorba- the ultimate mermaid skirt.

View attachment 10947

:think: Why do I think of cabbage?
Nice color, though.

Last edited:

Shanazel

I vote for losing the drapes. Have you looked at the size of those beads? One sharply arrested turn and they'd beat a dancer black and blue.

Perhaps the green one needs a disclaimer: no mermaids or cabbages were harmed in the making of this costume.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I really like the peach and gold concoction on the left and hope it will enlarge enough that you can see it. It has the longer bra line, too. Guess this must be a new "thing" or am I hopelessly behind the times and this is sooooo last week? ;)

View attachment 10946

I like this - very elegant. Too bad I don't have the requisite anatomy!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Just for Zorba- the ultimate mermaid skirt. :dance:

View attachment 10947

I'd take about 2 steps in that and would proceed directly into a face plant! We'll call that result "The Zorba Floorwork Technique - introducing the inverse Turkish Drop!" It'll be a big hit with the Goth crowd that likes to see a lot of blood and gore...

Maybe if I wore red eyeliner, it'd help conceal the blood running out of my nose!

Farasha Hanem

I want to love this one and almost do...

View attachment 10944

but the light-colored areas are over-decorated and over-represented so the costume doesn't balance well. Pulling more black into the sleeve might help as would removing some of the glitz from the light areas.

:shok: But the glitz is GORGEOUS!

Then again, I would roll in a gigantic mound of glitter and die happy! :p

Shanazel

"Early this morning, an Oklahoma dancer was discovered at her home in a pile of sequins, beads, and glitter. Police on the scene noted a blissful smile on the face of the deceased. Funeral will be held at the local bead shop."

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
"Early this morning, an Oklahoma dancer was discovered at her home in a pile of sequins, beads, and glitter. Police on the scene noted a blissful smile on the face of the deceased. Funeral will be held at the local bead shop."
A special sale on sequins, beads, and glitter will be held to help defray funeral costs.