Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely a special place in hell for Arsonists, and jail in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Summer fires are a way of life in the western United States.
    Sad but true. We had a massive one about a month ago on the mountain to the north of us.
    West Valley Fire triples in size as national team arrives to assist

I'm a little unhappy with mother-nature right now. First we got two cold snaps after what should have been the last one, so I had to replace my starts twice, then it heated up to ridiculous levels early, so my corn died before developing, and now it's dropping massive amounts of water (to late to help) and I have standing water in my back yard that just won't drain. I'm one of the lucky ones though. This poor lady a few blocks away has had her home flood three times now from the rain.

So what does "Uff da!" mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    There is definitely a special place in hell for Arsonists, and jail in the meantime.
    It must be wet cold and very wet so nothing will catch fire...

Although today, the weather in Hell is pretty nice, sunny and app. 30C-35C. (yes, there is a place named Hell in Norway).
    My thermometer it is 35C right now. According to the local newspaper, it is actually the warmest day since 1901...
    Thank God for the mild breeze.

The Swedish fires are getting fewer, but the biggest ones are still burning, altough more or less under control.
    At least no (human) lives lost in these fires and mostly wood contrary to the recent fires in Athens; so far 84 dead and and unknown number of missing persons. And there might have been arsonists in Athens as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So what does "Uff da!" mean?
    In modern Norwegian the meaning is slightly dependent on intonation, but in general it is an emotive response to something negative; sad, unpleasant, unconfortable.
    Last edited by Daimona; 07-27-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: too warm to rite well
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I'm slightly envious of you right now. The temperature is lower then usual for this time of year thanks to the rain (109F/42.7C) but I think I would rather have your 95F/35C right now. I am soooo tired of summer. When is Autumn going to get here?
    Last edited by Ariadne; 07-27-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: (posting acting weird)

Post Thanks / Like

My North Dakota Norwegian husband says "uff da" is Norwegian for "oy, vey."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

My North Dakota Norwegian husband says "uff da" is Norwegian for "oy, vey."
    And that is Hebrew? Sorry, can't say I'm familiar with that.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Yiddish. It means "uff da." I think Hebrew is oy vavoy or something similar.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Returning to weather, we're in a pattern of late afternoon and evening thunderstorms that drop a little or a lot of hail depending on where one lives. We had small marble sized pieces of ice fall here but further out on the plains the hailstones were the size of ping pong balls.

Post Thanks / Like

And at 0830, temperatures was 26 - I think this will be an even warmer day than yesterday.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Returning to weather, we're in a pattern of late afternoon and evening thunderstorms that drop a little or a lot of hail depending on where one lives...
    We've had some of that rain and hail off and on ourselves, hence the puddles in the backyard. Temperatures are pretty average for the time of year it's just unusually humid. Walking about outside leaves you feeling wrung out.

Huh, I just checked and there's an excessive heat warning right now. It's all stuff anyone who's lived here for awhile knows considering we're entering the hottest part of our year but it's interesting all the same.

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM MDT THISEVENING...

* AFFECTED AREA...Utah's Dixie and lower elevations of Zion
    National Park.

* TIMING...Through this evening.

* TEMPERATURE...High temperatures in the 105-110 range are
    expected this afternoon, with lows of 75-80 bringing little in
    the way of overnight relief.

* IMPACTS...Heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion and
    heatstroke will be possible for heat-sensitive groups
    including children, elderly, people on certain medications
    and/or with preexisting medical conditions that make them
    sensitive to heat, those exercising or doing strenuous
    activities, and people without a reliable source of cooling or
    water.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

An Excessive Heat Warning means that a prolonged period of
    dangerously hot temperatures will occur. The hot temperatures
    will create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are
    likely. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in air-conditioned areas,
    stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

To reduce risk during outdoor work the Occupational Safety and
    Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
    in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by
    heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke
    is an emergency - call 911.

Post Thanks / Like

What I think of as Disasterous Weather Warnings have become increasingly strident in the last couple of years. It's summer. We get thunderstorms and hail and occasionally tornadoes. Yeah, don't wander around outside in a hailstorm, don't stand under a tree when there's lightning, and go to a basement when there's a tornado. Duh. But now we're seeing warnings telling people to hide in the basement anytime the sky gets a little dark or the wind comes up a bit higher than usual. Here's one from this week:

Severe Thunderstorm Warning from 6:46PM MDT THU until 7:30PM MDT THU
    bulletin remains in effect for Natrona County, WY
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RIVERTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... SOUTH CENTRAL JOHNSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL WYOMING... NORTHEASTERN NATRONA COUNTY IN CENTRAL WYOMING...

* UNTIL 730 PM MDT.

* AT 645 PM MDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 10 MILES SOUTHEAST OF KAYCEE, MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...PING PONG BALL SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS. PING PONG SIZE HAIL WAS REPORTED ON TEH EAST SIDE OF KAYCEE.

IMPACT...PEOPLE AND ANIMALS OUTDOORS WILL BE INJURED. EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES.

* THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR... MIDWEST AND EDGERTON AROUND 715 PM MDT.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 25 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 217 AND 247.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING.

VERY HEAVY RAINFALL IS OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM, AND MAY LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS.

HAIL...1.50IN WIND...<50MPH

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast