2018 Weather around the world

Shanazel

Well, if you are in Toronto, it's only a 1650 mile straight shot to central Wyoming. Drop by for dinner, why don't you? I'm making green chili. It's 57 degrees and the wind is barely stirring at 25 mph.

Daimona

Well, if you are in Toronto, it's only a 1650 mile straight shot to central Wyoming. Drop by for dinner, why don't you? I'm making green chili. It's 57 degrees and the wind is barely stirring at 25 mph.

Thanks, Shanazel! Unfortunately, I won't be able to blow towards you for a green chili this time.
I left Toronto yesterday, arrived in Amsterdam this morning and I am finally home, slightly jet lagged. Currently it is app. 1 C, no wind and probably cloudy.

Last edited:

Ariadne

Partly cloudy. Lows around 31°F. Wind chill values as low as 25°F. Southwest wind to 8 MPH.

Wait... Is it actually colder here then in Amsterdam? :shok:

Shanazel

My daughter and I are going to Scotland next month. I'm good for warm clothes and rain suit (best way I know to ward off rain is to arrive with rain suit and umbrella in tow) but I am at a loss to know what to do about shoes. It's not like I own a pair of Wellies, coming from the land of "what's that wet stuff falling from the sky?"

Shanazel

If they aren't too expensive, I will do that, but my funds are pretty limited.

Sunny today and 39 degrees at the moment. High of 50 predicted. Will believe it when I feel it. Sigh. I am so tired of winter and my favorite shirt shrank in the laundry. For ten cents and someone to cover my shift, I'd go back to bed.

Daimona

The last week, Norway have had temperatures higher than the Mediterranes (app. 30 C). And I'm not kidding, some schools even cancelled exams because of AC not working.
Looking forward to some lower temperatures this weekend and next week.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Wow, I'll bet you really did feel like you were hanging on the hinges of hell, Daimona!

How one regards temperatures based on one's location is so interesting. My brother in south Texas would consider 30 C a cooling trend. I consider it hot- not excessively so but a few more degrees and I'm ready to head for the shade, ice tea and a good book in hand.

We've had amazingly beautiful weather this spring. I'm almost afraid to say that out loud for fear it'll jinx us into a late (very late) winter storm. We didn't get the killer low temps we often get the end of May and as a result, everything is green and fresh without frost-burnt edges. There has been enough rain that the hills and prairies are green and my son tells me that the mountain wildflowers are in full bloom. Later today, I'll take my grandson up on the mountain to see if the flowers are as good around here as they are in the Big Horns.

Daimona

Wow, I'll bet you really did feel like you were hanging on the hinges of hell, Daimona!

How one regards temperatures based on one's location is so interesting. My brother in south Texas would consider 30 C a cooling trend. I consider it hot- not excessively so but a few more degrees and I'm ready to head for the shade, ice tea and a good book in hand.

We've had amazingly beautiful weather this spring. I'm almost afraid to say that out loud for fear it'll jinx us into a late (very late) winter storm. We didn't get the killer low temps we often get the end of May and as a result, everything is green and fresh without frost-burnt edges. There has been enough rain that the hills and prairies are green and my son tells me that the mountain wildflowers are in full bloom. Later today, I'll take my grandson up on the mountain to see if the flowers are as good around here as they are in the Big Horns.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to. The highest temperatures I've ever experienced in Norway is 36C (i.e. in July/August, not May!). I usually head for the shadows when in passes 27C.
Today it has been the lower end of the twenties. A simply wonderful spring, yes.

Shanazel

I'm not a fan of heat which is why I've lived a mile above sea level for forty years and not on the Gulf of Mexico coast. Saying which, I had my fortieth anniversary of arriving in Wyoming over Memorial Day. :) Best move I ever made.

Reading over posts above: I found a great pair of lightweight waterproof camouflage hiking boots on sale at Sportsman's Wearhouse before I left for Scotland. Best hikers I've ever had.

Ariadne

That's awesome Shanazel. Sounds like you had a great vacation.

I suppose it depends on what you are used to. The highest temperatures I've ever experienced in Norway is 36C (i.e. in July/August, not May!). I usually head for the shadows when in passes 27C.
Today it has been the lower end of the twenties. A simply wonderful spring, yes.

I have to agree with Shanazel it is interesting the differences where you live make. I also have to agree with her brother 30C/86F is a cooling trend. ;) To me lower twenties C sounds potentially chilly and we passed up 36C/96.8F in the middle of May. I keep my home between 23-25 C/74-78 F and at the lower range I'm putting socks on to stay warm. It is a lovely temperature outside for spring though, to bad it passes so quickly here.

Here today it's sunny with a high of 37.7C/100F and a low tonight of 21.6C/71F.

Shanazel

Crept into the upper eighties today- plenty hot for me. Clouds came in later afternoon along with a breeze to cool things off. My son, grandson, and I went up into the mountains yesterday where it was a good ten or fifteen degrees cooler.

I got going early this morning and got my potted hostas and lily of the valley planted in the ground. Each evening, I've been pruning deadwood and dead flowers out of the lilacs. Hmm. Looks like some of them have been a tad neglected the last few years.

The roses have all got buds of varying stages of development. Need to shear back the snow in summer to encourage it to bunch up and not take over the world. Ditto the Virginia creeper. Tomorrow afternoon I'm transplanting lavender to the upper tier. The moss rose can take over the old lavender bed, as it is bound to do eventually, with or without my permission. The plum trees are loaded with baby fruit. We might even get a few apples this year.

Ah, June.

Shanazel

It isn't cold here but it is chilly and very rainy as well. More like April than June. I need to get in the garden to deal with an infestation of fire blight in one of my apple trees but have been unwilling to wade through mud to do it.

Shanazel

Rained all last weekend, too. My son, grandson, and I were doing amphibian surveys for Game and Fish. We got one containment done and abandoned the other because 1) it was raining and we were waaaay back down dirt roads in the mountain and 2) because the coordinates supplied to us put the site right in the middle of private land which was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Daimona

Whole of Scandinavia has a draught this summer (driest summer for the last 70 years so far), and combined with lots of lightening the risk of wildfires is huge. The draught is Norway has been and is bad, but Sweden is literally burning (see maps of current wildfires here). The last couple of days people (in Norway) have reported smell of fire in large areas, but the smell comes from the fires in Sweden.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Uff da! (Do you say that in Norway or is it just North Dakota Norwegians who use the phrase?)

Summer fires are a way of life in the western United States. You'd think people would be hyper-aware of where (and even if) they build campfires or how they toss that cigarette butt or where they drive their giant vehicles with catalytic converters. More than one fire has been started by a catalytic converter coming in contact with dry grass on a two track. But no- people merrily go their way assuming it will never happen to them. It came within about a hundred steps of happening to us twenty years ago. Thank goodness for the anonymous guy who drove his own grader up and down the ridge to make a fire break and to all those fire fighters for whom our fire was the second big one of the week. It was started by a couple of thirteen year old boys setting fires and stomping them out for fun. Go figure.

Daimona

Uff da! (Do you say that in Norway or is it just North Dakota Norwegians who use the phrase?)

Yes, we do use that phrase from time to time.

Sweden_Hot_2018.jpg
Fire fighters from Italy, France, Poland and Lithuania and Norway are currently helping the Swedish fire fighters. As you can see, some of the fires are killed, but there are plenty left (app. 60 fires atm).
Four of the wildfires are so big that they are considered almost impossible to fight....

Summer fires are a way of life in the western United States. You'd think people would be hyper-aware of where (and even if) they build campfires or how they toss that cigarette butt or where they drive their giant vehicles with catalytic converters. More than one fire has been started by a catalytic converter coming in contact with dry grass on a two track. But no- people merrily go their way assuming it will never happen to them. It came within about a hundred steps of happening to us twenty years ago. Thank goodness for the anonymous guy who drove his own grader up and down the ridge to make a fire break and to all those fire fighters for whom our fire was the second big one of the week. It was started by a couple of thirteen year old boys setting fires and stomping them out for fun. Go figure.

:rolleyes: 90% of the wildfires (at least in Norway) are usually caused by irresponsible people. Reasons behind some of the wildfires in Norway earlier this summer have been caused by people having BBQs in the forest, not stomping out their cigarettes, but also from railways and other human activities. Just read somewhere that the last couple of weeks, there have been 350 wildfires in Norway (altough, not the same sizes as the largest ones in Sweden).

Just heard on the news that two persons have been imprisoned because of starting at least 7 fires in one of the areas in Sweden...

Shanazel

There should be a special place in Hell for arsonists. God bless your firefighters.

We get a fair number of lightning fires, too. Most of the ones in the backcountry are lightning strikes. Before the kids were born, my husband and I were checking anemometers when a thunderstorm blew in. Since we were in the highest point in the area right next to a long metal pole, we decided to go downhill and wait in the truck for the storm to pass. Lightning hit just a stone throw from us in the lowest part of the valley (go figure). We put out the resulting fire before it got too far. I remember the sight of wild iris laying around the area having been blown apart by the strike.

96 degrees today with a dry, gentle wind. Red fire flags up all over central Wyoming yet I still see an occasional Roman candle left over from Fourth of July streak up into the sky. Idiots. Fortunately our temps drop into the sixties at night which makes it more comfortable and lowers the fire danger as well.