Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh, it’s funny what you get used to. I’m trying to wrap my mind around ping pong ball sized hail but think nothing of staying inside between 10am-10pm for a month every year. Every place has something.

Post Thanks / Like

A tornado touched down a dozen miles south of Douglas this afternoon. Douglas is about 45 miles from here. There have been more in the last ten or fifteen years than there used to be in this area; most occur in the foothills where the hot air is sweeping up off the plains and the cool air is tumbling down the mountains. Cheyenne gets the absolute worst weather in the state. When I moved here forty years ago, a tornado and grapefruit sized hail pummeled the city. About twenty years ago, some friends and I spent about an hour sitting in the customer service area of a Cheyenne shopping center because tornadoes had been spotted nearby. My cousin's children were in a school gymnasium in NE Texas that got moved sideways by a tornado. Miraculously, no one was hurt though the little town was considerably damaged. There have been several tornadoes in that area since then. Don't want to live up there myself, nope.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    Although today, the weather in Hell is pretty nice, sunny and app. 30C-35C. (yes, there is a place named Hell in Norway).
    My thermometer it is 35C right now. According to the local newspaper, it is actually the warmest day since 1901...
    And according to the official measurements, yesterday was the warmest day ever since they started to measure temperatures around here. Average temperature over 24 hours was 13 degress above normal.
    This afternoon there was a drop to pleasant 22 C, but will rise again tomorrow.

Hail the size of ping-pong balls... oh my. The largest hails I've seen have been 1.5 cm in diameter.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a short hailstorm again this afternoon. Little stuff. This is, what, three or four days of hail in a row?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hail in Cheyenne on July 26.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hail.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	11070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hail-truck.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	11071

Post Thanks / Like

Very weird sky today: combination of high cloud cover and smoke from the fires west of here. We're supposed to get scattered thunderstorms which I hope will wash some of the smoke from the air without starting new fires with lightning.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had the warmest summer for 70 years (average temperatures) causing very low levels in all water reservoirs. Yesterday, however, was the wettest 24h for 78 years, but no floods because the rivers were so low as well. At least temperatures are back to normal.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Massive rainstorms here on and off for the last week. Some flooding. Not fun to drive in but it was great to play in.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot, dry, and mildly windy during the day. Chilly night and early mornings. It was 45 degrees F when I went out yesterday morning about 6:30. By midday, it was in the low 90s. Weather this time of year in Wyoming will darn near give you whiplash. Everyone cringes at the slightest sign of lightning; even heated words are likely to set the place on fire.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456