Should this forum close in 2018?

Salome

Administrator
Greetings!

just taking the pulse of the community on this idea. Is it worthwhile to any of the members to keep the forum alive? This year marks its 15th year anniversary! Part of me would be really sad to retire bellydanceforums.net BUT is it still meaningful to you? I'm evaluating this because on January 20, the annual hosting bill is due. It is $432 dollars. There is also about $150 in domain names. It used to be that ad revenue earned enough to pay for the expenses plus pay a webmaster to keep us current. For a reference in google ads this is how the forum has performed over the last 5 years:

2013 $1378.31
2014 $648.45
2015 $457.71
2016 $220.02
2017 $128.95

All replies may be NO and I won't have the heart to close it, lol. But am considering how we should go forward. Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback!

Greek Bonfire

That all depends on you. This is a "pretty baby" and while I haven't been here as much as I used to due to a heavier work schedule and trying to keep up on other forums, numbers are solid things and also have to be considered. I have always enjoyed coming here but it seems there is more activity on Facebook only because everything else is there - meaning all variety of forums are there without all of the logging in, etc. But I will miss the intimacy smaller forums offer.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

BUT

I miss the heyday of both this forum and Bhuz. As much as I'd like to blame face***k, and as much as I friggin' DETEST same, I think a lot/most of the downturn of Belly Dance forums is due to Belly Dance being in one of its cyclic lows right now. I'm on all kinds of forums on other subjects, and they're all THRIVING!

Ariadne

Ditto.

I would be sad to see it go, the amount of information you have collected here over the years is astonishing and I love the community even if it is sparse these days, but... "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do".

Is there any other BD forums left?

Shanazel

Well, I'm still here so my pro-forum sentiments are pretty obvious but the decision is ultimately yours, Salome. That's a pretty good handful of change to keep it going.

My two cents worth: OD's forum is a repository of experience, history, technique, styles, and tips that has no parallel online. Once it is gone, so is a decade and a half of information, much of it from dancers who became dancers before "belly dance" became an umbrella term for everything from swinging one's hips to rap to waving giant wings about a la Loie Fuller. If you do decide to close 'er down, I hope you can archive the files somehow in the interests of future researchers and dancers.

Frankly, I loath the FB pages devoted to belly dance and after one particularly vehement burst of "I'm more culturally sensitive than you are" posts, I clicked the "do not show" button. Unlike Zorba, I do think those pages have significantly contributed to the demise of the bellydance forums though I also agree BD is in one of its periodic troughs.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Unlike Zorba, I do think those pages have significantly contributed to the demise of the bellydance forums though I also agree BD is in one of its periodic troughs.

You're on there, so would know far better than I - so I'll take your word for it. It isn't any effort whatsoever for me to add that to my general detest of THAT SITE!

However, I don't get why BD forums are in the toilet whereas forums on just about every other subject under the sun are full and busy! *shrug*

Ariadne

My two cents worth: OD's forum is a repository of experience, history, technique, styles, and tips that has no parallel online. Once it is gone, so is a decade and a half of information, much of it from dancers who became dancers before "belly dance" became an umbrella term for everything from swinging one's hips to rap to waving giant wings about a la Loie Fuller. If you do decide to close 'er down, I hope you can archive the files somehow in the interests of future researchers and dancers.

Is that possible?

Shanazel

I haven't found this with the other forums I'm on. The only one is full swing is Pattern Review. The rest, from motorcycles to my favorite gardening forum, are very, very quiet to moribund with most of the original folks moved over to the Facebook pages. (Maybe I've scared them off?) I miss some of those folks but don't want to deal with the hodge-podge of posts and unwanted ads inherent to FB site.

Last edited:

Shanazel

The site won't let me edit the post above. I was replying to
However, I don't get why BD forums are in the toilet whereas forums on just about every other subject under the sun are full and busy! *shrug*

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I haven't found this with the other forums I'm on. The only one is full swing is Pattern Review. The rest, from motorcycles to my favorite gardening forum, are very, very quiet to moribund with most of the original folks moved over to the Facebook pages. (Maybe I've scared them off?) I miss some of those folks but don't want to deal with the hodge-podge of posts and unwanted ads inherent to FB site.

Must be some kind of demographic thing. I'm on forums about pianos, several different types of firearms, sewing machine collecting, and pop in on occasion on a couple or three Pagan forums. ALL are thriving. Some of them I can't even keep up with - a lot like Bhuz in its heyday. There's a quilting board I know of, but am not a member of, that is pretty busy too. *shrug* I've even popped into Pattern Review on rare occasion when something about a vintage sewing machine has come to my attention there. Pretty good site!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If the Internet is going to devolve to the level of face***k and similar sites, I'll exit it stage right. I lived without it for 40 years, I can live without it again. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN! :D:lol:

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I hear you on this. Raks Sharki is on the downslide right now. In fact, at one well known Middle Eastern restaurant/club, they are now featuring CIRCUS performers. Waving a fan in front of my face so I don't pass out.

Daimona

My initial reaction to this is "NOOOOOO!" but I do understand if you choose to close it.

Seconding Shanazel to check out possibilities to archive it if it gets that far...

Well, I'm still here so my pro-forum sentiments are pretty obvious but the decision is ultimately yours, Salome. That's a pretty good handful of change to keep it going.

Duvet

This site has been an invaluable source of knowledge, encouragement and inspiration for me over the years. It was through reading a post on here a long time ago (coincidentally referring to me) that helped me realise that my presence within the bellydance community was noticed and appreciated, which in turn helped me to keep dancing when my resolve faltered.

It would be a great shame to think that this forum would cease to be active, and that the wealth of experience and knowledge expressed throughout its threads and posts would no longer be available.

But Salome, it is your decision over what to do with the site. Your post suggests that in your heart you still see some value in spending time and money on this forum, but that the maths in your head tell you that maybe it’s time to cut your losses and bow out gracefully. I hope that your heart wins out for at least another year, and that this site continues. But how can we help to make the finances pan-out?

Salome

Administrator
Decision made, let's keep going! Everyone who posted settled the matter for me, which was is it still meaningful? And I'm hearing yes and yes. Happy posting :0)

Shanazel

You're a honey, honey. I've lost track of how long I've been coming around here (it was pre-hack) and it made me sad to face saying good-bye.