Current costume fashions

Suzanne Azhaar

It's been a while since I've performed, unsure what current fashions are, or where to look.

Looked at Dahlal International, bellydancestore.com, and Bella. (Meh...shoulder shrug.) Pinterest had a couple lovelies.

Prefer a vintage look (add large stones for reflection). Are there costume sites I haven't mentioned (with good credentials)?

Thank you,
S

Last edited:

Ariadne

You've named the big three. The only other two I'm familiar with is Turquoise International and Sharif Wear. I've never purchased from either. If you don't mind providing your own shinys there's also L. Rose Designs. There used to be a lot of little nice shops but with the fad wearing off most of them have dried up.

For figuring out what is current though I tend to just go see with the big name dancers are wearing. Sarah Skinner always has interesting ones she makes herself (http://shakemyday.com/site/dancer/costumes/) and Michelle Joyce currently, I think, is wearing custom Bella's. The question is what dancers are your favorites? My favorite is Ruby Beh and it looks like she... yep, Bella's.

Suzanne Azhaar

Ruby looks beautiful in Bella. Had forgotten about Sarah Skinner. Love her unique designs / costumes. They fit her personality so well. Her Bi-metal coin costume is dreamy.

Greek Bonfire

You may be able to "cheat" if you are good with alterations. I have bought stuff from Bellydance.com and Missbellydance.com, and have "brought them up" to look more professional.

LibraRaqs

Apart from shopping sites, a great way to keep tab on the latest trends is an active Pinterest and Youtube account. That way you can see the latest and greatest as fast as fans can upload them.

Suzanne Azhaar

Won two vintage style Egyptian bedlahs on Shopgoodwill that look to be in good condition. Are they au current? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Will they fit? No clue. (Goodwill isn't known for posting photos with a measuring tape or even cup size. When questioned, their reply is- 'Don't know'.) Paid 1/4 Dahlal prices (includes shipping / handling). Score! Do I know when I can dance in them publicly? Nope. Am I still super excited? Yup. It will be fun to see what they're really like upon arrival.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Won two vintage style Egyptian bedlahs on Shopgoodwill that look to be in good condition. Are they au current? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Will they fit? No clue. (Goodwill isn't known for posting photos with a measuring tape or even cup size. When questioned, their reply is- 'Don't know'.) Paid 1/4 Dahlal prices (includes shipping / handling). Score! Do I know when I can dance in them publicly? Nope. Am I still super excited? Yup. It will be fun to see what they're really like upon arrival.
I got news for ya...
They won't fit. Even if everything else is correct, the bras won't be. Time to get out the old sewing machine, and make them your own!

Suzanne Azhaar

No worries. Efficient at fitting Egyptian costumes and have dissected / adjusted more Egyptian costumes than I can recall. Enjoy seeing other's work (nicely done or train wrecks that leave me laughing for days). Seen more sewing pins left in bras than is reasonable. (How can they not see them when sewing in the lining?) If the cups are too large (beyond padding out) a friend inherits them. If the cups are too small, a cousin inherits them. Also enjoy sharing blessings.

Shanazel

Don't let her fool you. She's not just efficient at redoing costumes, she's a genius. I've seen photos of before and after.

Greek Bonfire

No worries. Efficient at fitting Egyptian costumes and have dissected / adjusted more Egyptian costumes than I can recall. Enjoy seeing other's work (nicely done or train wrecks that leave me laughing for days). Seen more sewing pins left in bras than is reasonable. (How can they not see them when sewing in the lining?) If the cups are too large (beyond padding out) a friend inherits them. If the cups are too small, a cousin inherits them. Also enjoy sharing blessings.

Been there, done that. A good vintage costume is worth it.