Dancers 1960s-1980s

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Ah! Be still my heart! If I could dance a 10th as well as Nadia, I'd call myself a Belly Dancer! {BOW HERE}

Greek Bonfire

I LOVE to see the old school dances because, to me, they were classic and the best. How do you top the best? The costumes also were the loveliest and, again, how do you top the best? But because nothing stays the same, due to boredom, revolution, etc., even the best can't stay on top where it belongs. Today when a dancer does this style, she is out of fashion, plus the fringe and style of the costume is also considered out of style, but who determines all of this? To me, this was what was always in my mind when I finally started dancing, and the thought of deferring from it is not in my makeup.

That is not to say other styles don't have their fair share of excellent dancers and even the costumes are interesting. But I'm biased in that this, to me, will always be my favorite. I am a snobbish dancer in reference to authenticity. I am also a Polynesian dancer and flamenco dancer, and trying to find the classic and authentic style in these genres isn't quite as hard as bellydance.

I just like to preserve what was perfect beauty in all styles of dance.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Goddess yes, Bonfire!

And when you *do* see the classic style being performed, the hall is always virtually silent - from pure awe!

Shanazel

Modern audiences are used to performances that are so rehearsed and planned that all the folky flavor is rinsed away. Heaven forfend that a dancer flash an unchoreographed smile at a drummer as she twitches a hip band back into position. I think of the pursuit of perfect choreographies as the Las Vegas effect. There's room in the world for both but I like the insouciance of the old styles.