Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to shimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with knowing how to do a knee-driven shimmy. The problem comes if knee-driven style is the only shimmy a dancer is capable of. I suspect many teachers favor it because it is the easiest shimmy to teach. I didn't teach it because the shimmies that extend from one's core are more versatile and leave one's legs free to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    Just to be clear, though, there is NOTHING wrong with using your knees to create a shimmy. It's a perfectly valid technique. In fact, in my experience, it's the one that most of my teachers have favoured.

It's just that there are other ways to create a shimmy, and each one has a slightly different quality.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Nothing wrong with knowing how to do a knee-driven shimmy. The problem comes if knee-driven style is the only shimmy a dancer is capable of. I suspect many teachers favor it because it is the easiest shimmy to teach. I didn't teach it because the shimmies that extend from one's core are more versatile and leave one's legs free to travel.
    For *ME*, the knee driven shimmy is the hardest to do. Yea, its easy enough to teach, but to this day I have problems tightening up and losing it. Its only recently that I've discovered the oblique driven shimmy that not only do I not lose it, it is far more versatile as Shanazel points out. I wish someone had taught it to me years ago - or at least mentioned it - as I would have learned to walk with a 4/4 shimmy at least 10 years ago!

With all that said, I find I can vary the quality by varying the "drive". Full obliques looks (*very* subtly) different from full knee, and one can drive with both at the same time to varying degrees. 50/50, 60/40, 40/60, 75/25, 25/75, whatever! A recent discovery for me that I'm still playing with!

Oh, and this post isn't to infer that an oblique shimmy is the only core driven shimmy - I've used Persian for years, esp. for traveling when I didn't want a 3/4. Persian looks a bit different though...
    Last edited by Zorba; 04-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All going to prove that belly dance is more than just shaking one's dear little butt.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

And far more complex than anyone would ever imagine! We had a fairly experienced ballerina drop in our class a couple of weeks ago. She was amazed at how hard our dance is!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my students was a retired professional ballerina who now teaches dance classes at the rec center. She once told me that belly dance was the hardest thing she'd ever done- and she's no one dance style girl, either.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my students was a retired professional ballerina who now teaches dance classes at the rec center. She once told me that belly dance was the hardest thing she'd ever done- and she's no one dance style girl, either.
    I can understand why that would be, because ballet is all about tightening your muscles to initiate a movement. I remember when I moved from ballet to jazz ballet, it was a revelation to discover that I could initiate movement by relaxing some muscles. It's hard to explain, sort of "relaxing with control". It's where earthy, juicy movements come from. Jazz ballet has it, belly dance takes it to the next degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with knowing how to do a knee-driven shimmy. .
    That's what I wanted to emphasise. It troubled me slightly that the OP said her teacher told her she "has to" use her hips instead, which implies the knee version is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I interpreted it as, "Okay. You can do a knee shimmy. Now quit using it as the standard technique in order to concentrate on learning a new one."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the response !'it is interesting !

My teacher don't like that we do knees shimmies because she says that we can't travel or do other stuff in the same time while having vibrations.

I will try oblique shimmies.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first mastered it, I've never had problems travelling with thigh and "knee-driven" shimmies.
    But it is never wrong to learn and master several types of shimmies.
    --
    Daim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast