Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh-Huh...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. My name is Shanazel and it has been three months since my last dance...
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Owie, owie, owie, owie.

This is hurting more than I thought it would. Finally made time this morning to actually start sorting stuff out. I can't turn loose of the black and gold coin belt... or the purple and gold bead and coin belt (I can let the blue one go if I can find it)… but not the fifteen yard skirt and harem pants that I bought from Gia years ago... and certainly not the khalleji dress Lydia Tzigane sent me from Dubai... and I never really used the orange and navy blue scarf but it is sooooo pretty...

On the other hand, I still haven't found all my veils and there are at least couple of missing hip bands as well. I'm afraid I am going to have to tackle the dreaded Loading Dock in order to locate the rest of the stuff. The Loading Dock is our equivalent of the back of the basement or Grandma's attic. There's a woodstove, a floor loom, and a couch down there somewhere beneath the other stuff. Ohhhh, I can see my weekend turning into a major project just to find the rest of my dance stuff.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Owie, owie, owie, owie.

This is hurting more than I thought it would. Finally made time this morning to actually start sorting stuff out. I can't turn loose of the black and gold coin belt... or the purple and gold bead and coin belt (I can let the blue one go if I can find it)… but not the fifteen yard skirt and harem pants that I bought from Gia years ago... and certainly not the khalleji dress Lydia Tzigane sent me from Dubai... and I never really used the orange and navy blue scarf but it is sooooo pretty...
    Uh-huh.

So....

When/where is your next performance?

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!"

Post Thanks / Like

Owie, owie, owie, owie.

On the other hand, I still haven't found all my veils and there are at least couple of missing hip bands as well. I'm afraid I am going to have to tackle the dreaded Loading Dock in order to locate the rest of the stuff. The Loading Dock is our equivalent of the back of the basement or Grandma's attic. There's a woodstove, a floor loom, and a couch down there somewhere beneath the other stuff. Ohhhh, I can see my weekend turning into a major project just to find the rest of my dance stuff.
    Shanazel: Some items are not meant to depart from you (at least not yet). I've started to sell some of my unused stuff with no strings attached. My favourites, on the other hand, will be kept.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

I steeled myself to put the skirt and matching harem pants in the box but I'm keeping the coin belts and my khaleeji dress. Sigh. I also kept my favorite listening music and my Serena Technique book which has been my companion since I started dancing in 1978. All else goes to Melissa. I gave most of my veils to my students the night of my last class so they'd have something to remember me by. I haven't lost track of those lovely people: we're all getting together Wednesday evening for dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Uh-huh.

So....

When/where is your next performance?

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!"
    Um... I'm teaching a one evening debke class at the college for OLLI this spring...

Post Thanks / Like

Mind you I'm not sure I could give up a coin belt either if I owned one. It's coins!

Post Thanks / Like

Um... I'm teaching a one evening debke class at the college for OLLI this spring...
    Uh-huh...

EXACTLY as suspected.

Serena wrote a book?!?

What is its name? I'd like to try to find a copy. She had a certain veil "trick" that I've never quite mastered - and I only know of one dancer who knows how to do it - maybe its in the book...

Post Thanks / Like

The Serena Technique of Belly Dancing by Serena and Alan Wilson. It was published in 1972. My copy is so old that I don't even see an ISBN on it. Serena was my very earliest introduction to belly dance. Someone wrote an article about belly dance for Cosmopolitan Magazine about 1968 and I believe she was the featured dancer, though I wouldn't swear to it after half a century. I do know Serena was the first post-Golden Era famous dancer I ever heard of along with Juliana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhVAiYQvLik

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast