Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How cool to use scraps for sleeping mask sewing project.
    Would be cool to join you, but kind of difficult with travelling....
    Last edited by Daimona; 08-17-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher's sewing machine lives! Cleaned and oiled, adjusted the belt tension, adjusted the thread tension, and ran it through all its paces without problems!

YAY!

Now I can teach my teacher "basic SM operation"...

Post Thanks / Like

I am jealous. All I know how to do is oil my machine. I don't even know if my machine has a belt tension.
    ... it's probably time to oil it again now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    How cool to use scraps for sleeping mask sewing project.
    Would be cool to join you, but kind of difficult with travelling....
    Just a little.

It went really well. We didn't have time to do the "Introduction to Sewing Machine Operation" but I don't mind since the reason is they were having too much fun burn testing. I pulled out my textiles sample folder where I could positively identify what the fabrics were and demonstrated the different results while they read off a description sheet. After that they went to town ransacking the scraps and remnants and testing everything. By the time that was done all we had time for was to make the pattern and for two of them to begin cutting out the fabric.

A small disclaimer. We used a VERY WELL VENTILATED area. Just in case anyone reading this wants to give burn testing fabrics a try don't forget to ventilate well! Most man made fabrics give off toxins when burned. Also do not forget a bowl of water to extinguish any flare ups that don't want to go out. Instructions can be found here: https://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Burn-Test-Chart.html

Post Thanks / Like

Burn, baby, burn.

Amazing what captures the imagination of children though fire fascinates almost everyone.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool that everything went well. Nothing beats that.

And thanks to this thread I remembered to press every seam (almost at once) of my sewing project last night. The only common mistakes I did was not paying enough attention to fabric folding up while sewing and had to unpick an inch And I should absolutely change the needle. It is blunt and I haven't even manage to break it yet! (i.e. a blunt needle is something I rarely experience)

Edit: Aaaand with less than 1 inch left of the seam (was fixing the bottom hem of a tunic), the needle broke!

Another typical error is mixing fabrics with different elasticity, or using the wrong fabric for the wrong project (i.e. thick cotton for a baggy harem pant made was not a good combination...)
    Last edited by Daimona; 08-19-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Another typical error is mixing fabrics with different elasticity, or using the wrong fabric for the wrong project (i.e. thick cotton for a baggy harem pant made was not a good combination...)
    Gives a whole new meaning to the term "balloon pants."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I have definitely been guilty of that! Experience has taught me to pay close attention to what the desired result is when picking my fabrics.

I have also broken more then one needle, it always scares me. I get images of little sharp metal pieces flying toward my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to the term "balloon pants."
    oh.. yes...
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Once I started wearing glasses about twenty years ago, I worried less about broken needles flying toward my face. About the same time, I started removing pins from the fabric as I sew though I used to sew over them with great confidence and abandon. The older I get, the more I realize it CAN happen to me and the more steps I take to avoid that chance.

Ariadne, if you're interested, there is a site called Pattern Review that offers a number of different threads and articles on sewing, including sewing for beginners. https://sewing.patternreview.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    ... Aaaand with less than 1 inch left of the seam (was fixing the bottom hem of a tunic), the needle broke!
    Of course it did. That's also generally when you run outta bobbin thread...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast