Teaching a Sewing Class

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh, and as far as basic machine operation goes, "This is the MOST important control on your machine" pointing at the hand wheel!

Shanazel

I'm reading about putting in centered zippers right now. Sigh and moan. I made my first garment fifty years ago and I am still terrified of zipper installation. Just thinking about it puts my tummy in a knot but this dress is for my daughter and I ought to do it properly instead of expecting her to wiggle into a woven--fabric dress without a zipper.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've only done a zipper once, and it was a while back. It was in a "tie skirt", a skirt made out of neckties. I don't recall any particular problems putting it in though...

Ariadne

There is this really nice accessory called a zipper foot (for the sewing machine) that makes zippers nice and easy. I hate putting them in without it. If you don't have one maybe you can get one?

Shanazel

I have a zipper foot, Ariadne. It's not the equipment; it's the brain. I'm embarrassed to admit how reluctant I am to put in zippers. Button holes, bias cut, hand embroidery- pieces of cake. Wave a zipper at me and I start to hyperventilate.

Ariadne

Funny, that’s how I feel about buttonholes. Sure I can do it. Doesn’t mean I want to. I looove button loop elastic. I'll even make my own loop ribbon with fancy silk loops. Make a button hole, not if I can help it.

Daimona

My old machine make buttonholes for me. Only too bad I usually don't have buttons in my self-made clothes. Zippers aren't difficult, even without a zipper foot. For both, all you need is a bit of practice (and maybe a good manual/tutorial) and it will get better.

Ariadne

And "Introduction to Sewing Machine Operation" saves the day. I had a student completely panic on me the instant something went wrong. I had already gone over all the basics with her so I backed her up and handed her some scrap, made her remove her high heel shoes, and then told her to have fun. within 15 minutes she'd gone from panic to sewing smiley faces. After that it was smooth sailing even when, of course, something went wrong. Zorba you rock. :D

Shanazel

High heeled shoes are implements of torture designed by Satan. No wonder she panicked while wearing them.

Ariadne

lol! She loves them.

But, as I've learned from experience, high heels make controlling the pedal speed exponentially more difficult. I hadn't realized what she was wearing or I would have done it sooner.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'm good for about 3 inches of heel - for short periods, although I did manage to wear them all day at work one time.

A dance sister of mine wears sixes - EVERY DAY! She must have calves of STEEL!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Don't like tight stuff on my neck or wrists. Not to mention the heat index of a "light sash" around the neck!

Even my "violates all the rules" "Elegant Gothic Brolita" outfit is loose around the neck, although it does clamp the wrists, and of course cinches my waist. And we won't talk about the multiple layers of HOT black satin - I try to be within running distance of a fainting couch at all times! :D

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
My late mother, also from the South, said shoes (of any kind) were "barbaric, and inventions of the devil!". I'm inclined to agree with her, as I dance barefoot as much as possible!

Shanazel

Your mama knew stuff.

Once met a woman who said she always bought the smallest shoes she could fit on her feet because she didn't like her feet to look big. (Ahem. I wear a ten. She wore about a 6.) Now thirty years later, I wonder if she can still walk. (Ahem. I can.)

Ariadne

Well sewing class is still ongoing though with various flues and other health issues they've been scattered and broken up. One of the girls has finished her sleeping mask. I forgot to get a picture, once I do I'll post it here.

We're moving on to spats as each one finishes their masks. The kids are doing a 30's gangster theme for all their costumes this Halloween so the spats will be something they can use. We're using the instructions from this video:
[video=youtube_share;nb0JAZ1DSL4]https://youtu.be/nb0JAZ1DSL4[/video]
They're having fun at least. :)

Shanazel

No video available, alas. I had been wondering how the class was going. Spat making! Now there is a project you don't hear about every day. Love it!