Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dance Mentor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance Mentor

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

How does that work, then?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wondered too. Sounds good, but complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen your posts here and on Tribe about this offer.
    I'm a bit curious about your background. Can you share details about your expertise? Your training? How long you've been dancing? What kind of dance education you have...what forms of Middle Eastern dance training? Other dance training? What teachers have you studied with? Do you perform...what style?
    I think the idea of using modern technology to assist in educating performers is wonderful, if used advisedly.
    Gia
    Last edited by Gia al Qamar; 02-27-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: oh spelling...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see verifiable qualifications and references before I'd pay anyone to tell me how to do anything. A quick look at your blog is not helpful. Do you have a professional web site?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

In July last year you posted the following on this board:
    well it is a combination of time, and I suppose it is because I am self learning at the moment, I have just been learning from dvds really, and sometimes they can become repetative. I understand I need some proper tuition, but not yet found anything local I am happy with, that isn't too far to travel. I would like to get one on one tuition. Although, this doesn't bother me too much, I only dance for the sake of it at the moment, but still would like to improve as it just feels better well actually, I wouldn't mind it being my source of income either!! now that would be nice, as well as being able to help others improve.
    You really feel you're qualified and experienced enough to mentor other dancers, Michelle?

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mentoring

Dear Michelle,
    Of course, none of us can tell you how to run your dance life, but I am hoping that you will take the time to really learn the different dances before attempting to mentor other dancers. I think this is what we are all saying in this thread.
    You might very well have a talent and an eye for dance and that is very important, but Middle Eastern dances take specific skills and go deeper than technical movement. There is so much to learn about culture,spirit, meanings in specific dance forms, the differences between specific styles of belly dance, etc. Going into teaching or mentoring of any kind before you know very much about these things is not the best way to give another person an education in dance. Mentors must have a fullish knowledge of the dances before trying to coach people about them. This happens with time and experience and in no other way.
    We are not trying to be mean, but we do want you to love the dances and your students enough to wait until you have a depth of understanding about the dance. For most people, this comes with studying frequently with those who have something of value to pass along. It is generally felt that about 6 years is a good period of time to wait to start teaching, if one has had access to some very good live instruction and has an aptitide for teaching or coaching, or mentoring.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

SOOOOOOO perfectly said A'isha! thank you!
    maybe a "performance coach" (if you have lots of "other" types of dance training ALONG with performance experience).... but a teacher... or mentor (which to me is "bigger" & more involved than a teacher) in a specific style... with so little experience????... but it sounds also that you are coming from more of a psychological/ "mind set" as well..... are you trained in this field????

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast