Dance Mentor

TiaSerena

MichelleD,

I believe that is what everyone was asking. Your qualifications are exactly as you just listed with your degree and so forth. If that was stated from the very first email, we all would know exactly where you are coming from and what it is you truly do. There is no need to take this to the debate section. There is however a need for realizing proper explanation. It is the basis for any understanding.

Tia

Aisha Azar

Mentor, etc.

Dear Michelle,
While you have movement training, it is not the same as having belly dance training in specifics, if you are going to try to help people be better belly dancers. I also have taken some sport psychology classes, and found that the things that I learned there can really be applied only if I am teaching to a specific concept. For example, applying what I learned to tennis in specifics is not going to do my student any good if I am trying to teach her/him to apply sport psychology to bellydance, because the basic idea is the same, but not the specific idea. Same with applying Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theories.
You admit that you have not got a lot of training in dance...why do you speficially want to coach dancers, then?? If you are developing an independent style, why do you not offer training in what you are developing instead of bellydance?
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Mentor, etc.

Dear Michelle,
I thought this thread WAS about YOU taking up mentoring of belly dancers. I think we have all pretty much stuck to the point. It is indeed a personal subject since the subject is a person and what she intends to do with her small knowledge of belly dance.
A'isha

teela

Michelle, I think people were just concerned that you are qualified to do what you are offering. I am a certified, high school Math teacher with many years of experience. If I were to offer to tutor people in Math, I would list my qualifications and the types of math I am willing to work with. If I were to offer to mentor people, I would again provide qualifications along with a listing of experience and the particular type of bellydance because some are extremely different and I am not qualified say to comment on tribal, most types of fusion, etc. You should not get upset about this. When we pay someone for a service, we want to make sure we are paying a qualified person.

Salome

Administrator
Greetings,

posting as a moderator here. So far this thread is on topic and the tone has
been thoughtful so I'm not going to move it.

Speaking as a member... Michelle you may be a wonderful person with good
intentions at heart. My words are not a criticism of your character :) Simply that mentoring, to me anyway, implies that the mentor is a master in his/her field. A teacher of teachers. A mentor has to be able to lead her student through all the veins that bring blood to the heart. What you have shared of your background in Oriental dance suggests that you are not yet in a position to really offer mentoring. I'm sure that's not feedback that is exactly fun to hear. But with a lot of folks commenting in the same vein maybe you could allow that there is a kernel of truth in it?

Shanazel

I have already stated I don't feel that my qualifications are relevant to what I do... I have found particular attitudes on this forum somewhat patronising and offensive.

Your qualifications are irrelevant to what you do? You lost me on that one. I'd like to design houses but while I can draw very pretty pictures, I am hardly qualified to do worthwhile analysis of someone's blueprints.

People have tried in ways both blunt and gentle to offer you an unpleasant truth: you need certain qualifications to be accepted as a belly dance mentor, and it is the professional opinion of more than one person that you do not have those qualifications. You can chose to be offended, or you can chose to be educated. The cold hard fact of any profession is that you need to be properly trained to offer effective services.

That being said, there is no reason you can't educate yourself with an eye toward becoming a dance mentor if you are willing to take the time and put out the effort to gain the needed qualifications. In that case, there are any number of dancers on this forum who can offer valuable suggestions and guidance, and I'm sure we would all wish you well with your education.

Shanazel

Last edited:

belly_dancer

HELLO!!!!! what EVERYBODY else told you already!!!!! your defensive post, thinking your "qualifications were not relevant" & you would only offer them to "students" (was that not who you were trying to appeal to when originally "advertising" on this thread??) shows that regardless of your dance training, you may not yet be mature enough to teach without your ego involved...
that said.........
****now that you have FINALLY shared your qualifications....... it DOES sound that with the knowledge/degrees/etc that you do have.... along with your interest in dance, that you may enjoy being a personal trainer, maybe your angle could be putting together dance(with NO emphasis on bellydance/or any other SPECIFIC dance form)/exercise routines together for individuals, based on their fitness goals... rather than being a "dance" mentor
good luck in your journey

Mouse

It is more about how others have reacted, than about me getting upset, but thanks for your concern. I'm more concerned about any students on the receiving end of this strange behaviour, but yes, of course people want to get as much info as they can before they pay somebody

This is why I offered help for free.

Hi Michelle, I'm a little confused with your last post.. unless I'm reading you wrong, you actually offered in the first consultation free with the implication that future consultations required payment? Could you please clarify for any others that may also be confused like me?

Hi Everyone..

For those of you that don't already know me, I'm Michelle and I am posting this thread up to let you all know that I am now helping dancers by using video analysis software, which enables me to do this long distance. The first consultation is for free, so if anybody would like to find out any more about this feel free to email or private message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

chryssanthi sahar

Well Michelle, I'm afraid the marketing seminars you have visited are not helpful for you in this case. You cannot sell us here in this forum your product. It is like some non-native speaker of English, who have never visited an English-speaking country and has studied English only through books and tapes, is offering language coaching and style correction to native speakers of English. Sorry, but the whole thing you are offering is just absurd:mad:

Lydia

dance mentor

Hi Michelle,please dont take it all wrong ...most people in this forum are serieus about this ,,art,, and there are so many people already they think are ,,mentors,, it just is becoming to much ...when a person is realy busy with this art form longer than 15 to 20 years than you can say ok i can take that serieus, we just dont know you and your experiance and it,s logic that we say ,,thank you but??? and it is correct how can you correct and teach something that you dont know enough about??Dont be upset we just love this art a lot and we like to protect what we still have and try to keep it good...have a nice day ,regards Lydia

Ariella

Here's an idea for you. Why don't you teach dancers to use the software instead of "mentoring" bellydance? I personally would find it useful to be able to sit down and go over my own performances, and I'm sure that there are teachers that would want to use this tool with their students.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Albert not withstanding, with proper education and forethought, you could have expressed yourself clearly from the start and avoided any humiliation and mental oppression from us ignorant and selfish teachers.

Really, my dear, how are you going to learn anything if the only teacher you accept is your own ignorance?

Good luck to you from me and my inner demon.

Aisha Azar

Mentor

Dear Michelle,
It seems to me that the only ego being flauted here is your own. No one here has claimed to be the last word in belly dance. We have suggested that it is best to know any subject in which you intend to teach, coach or mentor. You, yourself have claimed that you do not have much dance experience, so how can you possibly tell dancers something that you do not know very much about? You can not. Neither can anyone else who is limited in expereince and knowledge. Misunderstanding Einstein will not prove your point.
A'isha