Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a few people who find sitting on pianos to be dis-respectable and for pretty much the same reason. It's not a constant though. I think it pretty much comes down to check whether they will mind before you do it or bring your own.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my own. Others I know who have done this also have their own. I heard the symbolism offends some but now I'm going to ask around in the local community.

Post Thanks / Like

People looking to be offended, will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Sitting on a piano isn't usually offensive to a pianist, but standing on the keys might be a different matter!

With a drum I am sure it will depend on the drummer, their attitude to dancing and music, and the respect that the dancer already possesses. Some newbie grabbing a drum and dancing on it might well offend the drummer who has to use that drum later to make music with. A well respected and trusted performer with a prearranged agreement with the musicians would be a different matter.

Standing on a drum and dancing/moving it around the stage could obviously damage the skin and the drum frame. Promoting the attitude that a professional musician's instrument is just a toy will cause offense. But if its your drum, then you can do what you like with it.
    Last edited by Duvet; Yesterday at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of dancers have more respect for the drum than to destroy it. They do have more respect than that. And I agree that a dancer should always bring her own drum and never take one from a musician.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12