Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a few people who find sitting on pianos to be dis-respectable and for pretty much the same reason. It's not a constant though. I think it pretty much comes down to check whether they will mind before you do it or bring your own.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my own. Others I know who have done this also have their own. I heard the symbolism offends some but now I'm going to ask around in the local community.

Post Thanks / Like

People looking to be offended, will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Sitting on a piano isn't usually offensive to a pianist, but standing on the keys might be a different matter!

With a drum I am sure it will depend on the drummer, their attitude to dancing and music, and the respect that the dancer already possesses. Some newbie grabbing a drum and dancing on it might well offend the drummer who has to use that drum later to make music with. A well respected and trusted performer with a prearranged agreement with the musicians would be a different matter.

Standing on a drum and dancing/moving it around the stage could obviously damage the skin and the drum frame. Promoting the attitude that a professional musician's instrument is just a toy will cause offense. But if its your drum, then you can do what you like with it.
    Last edited by Duvet; 10-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of dancers have more respect for the drum than to destroy it. They do have more respect than that. And I agree that a dancer should always bring her own drum and never take one from a musician.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband has played hand drums (as well as a dozen or so other instruments) for many years (my fault- bought him his first, second, third, and fourth drums). He respects instruments that get hit as well as the ones that get blown into but doesn't regard someone else's use or misuse of an instrument as a reflection on him. In my dim dark past, I played guitar and cello. Waltzing on a cello would seem a little strange to me but I wouldn't feel personally insulted when the dancers crashed through the wood.

Of course, there was that James Bond movie in which James and the leading lady escaped the bad guys by riding downhill in her cello case using the Strad as a rudder...
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Of course, there was that James Bond movie in which James and the leading lady escaped the bad guys by riding downhill in her cello case using the Strad as a rudder...
    .. and tossed the cello over the guard gate at whatever border they were crossing while James said "Nothing to declare"...

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot that part.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

While they, in the case, slid underneath said gate!

Post Thanks / Like

As a feminist, I deplore the way women were presented in the Bond films. As a connoisseur of campy films, I adore James Bond movies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12