Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So how is everyone else handling the extreme cold we've been getting? We're surrounded by mountains covered in snow and not only has it been raining constantly it snowed a little here too yesterday. I am NOT complaining considering how low our reservoirs have gotten.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So how is everyone else handling the extreme cold we've been getting? We're surrounded by mountains covered in snow and not only has it been raining constantly it snowed a little here too yesterday. I am NOT complaining considering how low our reservoirs have gotten.
    How cold is extreme cold for you?

Mountains covered in snow sounds beautiful to me.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a balmy 8 degrees Fahrenheit here with a low of -11 predicted for tonight. Extreme cold around here is negative 30 though some wimps start shivering at 20 below.

We figure on at least partially snow-covered mountains until some time in June though most passes are plowed in time for Memorial Day the end of May.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    How cold is extreme cold for you?
    Here, pretty much anytime it snows. Perhaps I should have said for the time of year. Usually right now we’re within a week or two of our last frost of the season. This year I think that will be sometime next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    Mountains covered in snow sounds beautiful to me.
    Oh they are very beautiful, just unusual. Snow on Pine Valley mountain (to the north) is fairly standard- in January, and it will sometimes stick around a few months. Snow on the East, South, AND West? That’s a dead of winter thing.

Edit: It just occurred to me I’m not explaining this very well. You see this area has this interesting weather phenomenon. We are where the south end of the Rocky Mountains meet the north end of the Mohave Desert. As a result we are both high desert AND surrounded by mountains and hills on all four sides. If you watch the weather forecasts you can see the weather fronts and clouds coming north-east up out of Southern California sweeping across the US toward Canada and there is this one point where the clouds will part, go around this little “dot”, and then close up again afterward. We’re under that dot. Weather literally goes around us.

So in the winter the mountain to the north of us always has snow. If there’s a particularly large cold front it will also snow AROUND us on the mountains to the East, South, and West though that snow melts within a week or two (high desert) if not days. For it to actually rain here, well usually weather goes around us so while it happens every year it’s not common. It’s certainly not common to have it raining on and off nearly every day for weeks, in FEBRUARY. And when it also gets cold enough for that rain to become snow rather then the other way around, again in February and not the dead of winter, that’s really unusual. Not that it sticks. The rain that has followed washes it away.

So, in an area where this time of year we are usually dry and warming up, just about to head into our windy season, we are instead very wet, cold, and humid. Weather has arrived and we don’t know what to do with it.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 02-18-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding explanation

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Its starting to warm up here, 80 degrees today.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like Ariadne needs to stay home and Zorba needs to go to the beach.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Can we switch? The beach sounds awesome!

Looks like it got Las Vegas too.
    https://weather.com/news/weather/new...evada-february

Post Thanks / Like

No one's going to the beach around here today, at least not without a parka. Was three degrees above last time I looked.

Post Thanks / Like

Wife's been agitating to go to the beach for a couple of weeks now. Myself, if I never saw a beach again, it would be exactly 37 seconds too soon.

But I'm glad its starting to warm up here - the low humidity of the last couple or three months has played havoc with my skin - itching all the time!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast