Deconstruction

Shanazel

Over the last couple of years, I've been thinning out the stuff stored in my house, including dance related stash, most of which I sold or gave away. The first bedlahs I made 40 years ago, I sentimentally held onto (did I ever really wear a 32D???) until tonight when I deconstructed the silver one. It was so old that the small silver beads had discolored though the larger silver rose beads were still in good shape and most of the silver trim was salvageable. I have to hand it to my 23 year old self: I did a pretty darn good job of turning a hard shell bra from Frederick's of Hollywood into a work horse of a dance bra. The hip band was several layers of denim from an old pair of Levis covered in silver lame and coins sewn on with fine dental floss. It was in its way the redneck of cossies but it looked nice through many, many performances and owed me nothing when I finally laid it to rest tonight.

One question remains: how am I going to use the beads and trim in an art project? Forty isn't so old...

Shanazel

Yeah, if I was feeling romantic and philosophical, I'd say it was a metaphor for deconstructing my life as a dancer.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Don't take them all apart, you'll need a couple for when you come out of retirement!

Shanazel

Zorba honey, even if I came out of retirement, all costumes from four decades ago would have to be combined into one to cover the assets I've accrued over the years.

Ariadne

...The hip band was several layers of denim from an old pair of Levis covered in silver lame and coins sewn on with fine dental floss...
Ohhhh coins!

Excuse me while I drool a little and I don't have any reason to wear any either.

Have you considered making necklaces, bracelets, or earrings for your daughters or granddaughters? Do you have any of the second? :think: My nieces love bits like that and they're really popular right now.

Shanazel

Ariadne: I have one grandson; no granddaughters. My daughter has admitted to being unusually fond of a particular young man and even mentioned the M Word (sotto voce but still aloud in plain English) so perhaps a granddaughter will arrive before I go to the Big Hafla in the sky. ;)

Zorba: the costumes were small and I insist on full coverage in my old age.

Shanazel

Deconstructed the gold coin bra today almost 40 years after I made it. Poor thing got worn so much that the gold is coming off the white underlining in places. Even salvaged a good part of the gold trim. Hmmm. Art project? Old dancers never die, they just spin off in a new direction.

Shanazel

That was the last of my costumes except the khalleji dress that Lydia sent me from Kuwait so many years ago. It stays with me. Still have a pile of jewelry but I like to wear the tribal stuff with regular clothes.