Kamaal's double veil video...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
About the only thing I'll disagree with him on is silk. I love DV with silk - BUT - he's quite right in that you don't want to use ANYTHING but Tissue Lame' when you're first learning. Lame' is a LOT more stable and easy to work with, get that down first, *then* transition to silk or Organza if you want.

Silk needs a power reduction of about 50% to achieve the same effect as Lame'.

prince ali baba

I just started watching a little bit of it. He makes it look so easy which is good,but remembered I only own a single veil. I need to learn how to hold and dance with that before I go double. :(

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thanks Zorba! Did Kamaal teach you how to do the double veil btw?

Yes and no. I took his DV workshop (live) many years ago, but I had already been dancing DV at that point. A gal by the name of Alyne Hazard 1st taught me, she was stellar! She too started us with Lame'.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't think I've tried dancing with lamé ever. Just chiffon/georgette and silk.

I've found that most old skool dancers don't like silk. It wasn't really available when they were "growing up" in the dance. I let Kamaal try my silk half circles - he promptly over powered them, I had to get him to ease off so they'd float. But I do agree with him - Lame' is what you want to use to at least learn DV. Switch to something else if you want after you've mastered the technique.

For those who may not know about it, an article on my website about veil fabrics (and other veil considerations): http://www.doubleveil.net/veils.htm

lilya

Wow, Zorba, thank you for the video tutorial (also thanks to Kamaal, of course!) and article! I was planning to part with the organza I bought a while back (at the time, it was the only fabric in which I could find a funky combination of colours). I ended up trying my hand at wings (store-bought) instead, as I wasn't quite sure if it was possible to tame that organza. Now I know!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I really do think that Organza is the best kept secret among veil fabrics - I kind of discovered it by accident, although I later had my thoughts validated by Ma*Shuqa when I took a workshop with her - she loves Organza also. Beat the crap out of it in the washing machine a few times to soften it up, and it becomes a great "Jack of all trades" veil.

Shanazel

Not as far as I know. When I google French nylon, I only come up with stockings. Can you describe it in terms of veils?

KhezlaDurr33

Not as far as I know. When I google French nylon, I only come up with stockings. Can you describe it in terms of veils?
I have finally figured out that what was called French nylon back in the day, is now called iridescent organza nylon. Beautiful fabric, changes colors, great for veil work. Hope this helps.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have finally figured out that what was called French nylon back in the day, is now called iridescent organza nylon. Beautiful fabric, changes colors, great for veil work. Hope this helps.
Ah! Organza. The best kept secret in veil fabrics. Maybe not quite as pretty as silk, or as floaty as silk, but very well behaved and not as "brittle" as silk is in handling. Beat the crap out of it in the washing machine a couple of times and you'll have a veil that you'll love!