Eash Ma3ia (Randa kamal Music) lyrics?

Obelia

Thanks Ariadne. That's actually where I first looked; I've been (trying to) chat with Randa a little on facebook, but I think the language barrier is causing some problems (and I don't want to seem rude), which is why I came here.

I It's actually Eash Ma3ia by Randa Kamel;

Not to seem contrary, but how is that^ different to how I spelled it? is it specifically using an arabic keyboard (I'm out of my depth there!), because on my screen it looks like identical... If there's something I've missed, please let me know!

Thanks

Ariadne

I It's actually Eash Ma3ia by Randa Kamel;

Not to seem contrary, but how is that^ different to how I spelled it? is it specifically using an arabic keyboard (I'm out of my depth there!), because on my screen it looks like identical... If there's something I've missed, please let me know!

Thanks

Just her name. In English what you typed came up Kamal not Kamel. I just got more hits in English with the second spelling... which you may not be able to even see the difference in and if you were using an Arabic keyboard for your search you probably got more results then I did so feel free to ignore it entirely.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
English transliterations are always unreliable. I see it all the time with Greek!

Tourbeau

[Finally got my account set up problem resolved, so here goes!]

This is an older song associated with Najat al Saghira. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Najat_Al_Saghira

You may see the title translated as "Live with me" or "Live together." The clip below is Najat singing, with the Arabic lyrics in the description. The singing in the dancer's clip starts partway into the full song, but it's a good idea to be familiar with the whole piece, not just an excerpt regardless.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CkLeQNeOl8Y

My Arabic is not good enough to do a thorough translation, and I didn't see one already prepared at any of the sites I usually rely on, but if you cut and paste the Arabic lyrics from the YouTube description into translate.google.com or similar AI software, you can get a rough approximation of the meaning (at least as well as I could do with my skillz, LOL!). HTH...

P.S. Arabic does not transfer 1:1 into English so what is "correct" is largely a matter of which transliteration system you choose and whether you apply it consistently. From what I can find online, Randa's Arabic name is رندا كمال (raa+nuun+daal+alif kaaf+miim+alif+laam), so it would not be unexpected to assume the English spelling of her last name was going to be "Kamal" or "Kamaal," but there are multiple possibilities for how she arrived at the spelling "Kamel" instead. When it comes to names, all bets are off anyway. Names often have roots in other languages, and over time they may get altered or legally misspelled, in addition to the idea that a given spelling is usually a personal/family decision.

It is complicated enough when moving between languages that some people transliterate the alphabet, while others transcribe the pronunciation, but Arabic can be unusually confusing. It has two main formal systems of pronunciation (albeit with some overlap--the Modern Standard system found in textbooks, and the classical system for Quranic recitation), plus numerous dialects, and occasionally even other neighboring languages that stumble into the mix because of historical significance, geographical proximity, linguistic cross pollination, convenience, or lack of better knowledge.

TL;DR: In the case of someone's name, "correct" is however they choose to spell it, even if another person could generate an equally recognizable spelling with a different transliteration system. Just ask Muhammad, Mouhamed, and Mohammed about that....

Shanazel

Welcome, Tourbeau. You are already an asset to OD. Care to share a bit of information about your dance background, etc?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yay Tourbeau! Glad to see you here at last!!!!

And you're absolutely correct - NEVER trust a transliteration. By its very definition, its an approximation at best. I have "some" literacy in Greek - and the transliterations I see of that language make me cringe sometimes; yet Greek is FAR closer to English than Arabic is - that situation can only be worse!

Tourbeau

Care to share a bit of information about your dance background, etc?

There's not much to say. I've taken classes and workshops on and off over the years. I taught for a while. I never pushed much into the professional arena because I wasn't all that young when I started and I have some physical limitations. (Besides, I live in an area of the US Midwest where there are way more dancers who want gigs than there are opportunities anyway.) Mostly, I've just gone off on my own and listened to hours and hours of music online in the hope of cultivating maybe a little sense of a native feeling for it.