2019 World Weather Thread

Daimona

So 86 Fahrenheit and I imagine your humidity is pretty high. Not hot enough to kill but enough to make you uncomfortable if you're not used to it. I can see why so few install AC.

We have plenty of systems to heat up our houses and keep them warm, but not keep them cold. :lol:

Shanazel

My husband has never quite recovered from his North Dakota Childhood in the land where summer temperatures are relatively moderate (average summer temps in the seventies with occasional upswings into the nineties wherein everyone collapses from heat). He installs the swamp cooler in the living room window every July and proceeds to kick back in shorts and tee shirt, enjoying the polar air while I look for a nice fuzzy cardigan. :lol: It hasn't kept us from spending the last 40 summers together, though.

Daimona

Ah.. the storm season came late this year.
The first storm has just arrived, and since I secured everything outside yesterday, it is perfect to cuddle up on the coach, litting the fire place and and some nice and warm tea in a cup and just listen to the weather.

Ariadne

The cold is early this year; it started around the beginning of October. Usually it happens around Halloween just in time to freeze the trick-or-treaters.

Shanazel

What a cozy image you send across the miles, Daimona. I was in Texas at my daughter's wedding for the first winter storm of the year, but #2 rolled through here on Sunday. My new son-in-law came by to pick up their dogs, my old son came by to pick up my grandson, I rearranged the furniture to a winter-friendly scheme, my husband built a fire in the wood stove, I plopped my bottom into my favorite chair with a good book, and did not stir again until bedtime. There is something to be said for winter.

Today has been what ya call "unsettled." Started out at clear, sunny, and freezing, jacked itself up into the fifties F, now is clouding up in preparation for cooling temps and mixed rain and snow this evening or early tomorrow morning. Wind is a mere 22 mph.

I think what I resent most about winter is the need to wear slippers inside to keep from freezing. I can't think clearly and wear shoes at the same time. :lol: (I am kidding, but just barely.)

Ariadne

Soooo... we skipped Autumn this year. All the "Snowbirds" are here a month early because they're getting snow storms up north in the mountains. Temperatures are supposed to reach freezing tonight. (I better turn off the watering system.)

FYI, Snowbirds are what we call the older people who summer up north and winter down here at the north end of the Mojave Desert.

I miss having a fireplace to cuddle up near. I am so jealous right now Diamona.

Shanazel

We used to get snowbirds in south Texas, too. Still do, no doubt. It's very weird to be sort of a snowbird hybrid when I go down there to check on the farm and family in the late winter or early spring.

This is definitely not normal October weather. It's 8 degrees F (-14 C) here and enough snow to make it look like the middle of December as well as feel like it. My son says its 4 degrees at his place west of town. As luck would have it, we are moving him and family to the new place tomorrow, which will probably be the coldest day of the week. At least the road will be frozen.

Shanazel

We moved all day yesterday but are hanging out at home today. Counting wind chill, it is eleven below zero F (-24 C). The last day or two are officially the coldest October days on record for this area.

Shanazel

Usually we just roll our eyes at weather warnings (yeah, we know the wind is gonna blow), but this time, I have to admit they are fairly impressive for October.

...LIGHT SNOW, GUSTY WINDS AND FRIGID TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE ACROSS SOUTHERN WYOMING TUESDAY...

.AN ARCTIC FRONT PASSED THROUGH THE STATE MONDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. LIGHT SNOW, ALONG WITH GUSTY WINDS, CONTINUE FROM SOUTH PASS TO THE INTERSTATE 80 CORRIDOR. BITTER COLD TEMPERATURES HAVE SETTLED ACROSS THE AREA IN THE WAKE OF THE FRONT. WINDS WILL REMAIN GUSTY OVER SOUTHERN PORTIONS TONIGHT, LEADING TO DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILLS.

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM MDT WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS EXPECTED. WIND CHILLS AS LOW AS 30 BELOW ZERO.

* WHERE...NATRONA COUNTY LOWER ELEVATIONS.

* WHEN...FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM MDT WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...PLAN ON SLIPPERY ROAD CONDITIONS. THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS WILL IMPACT THE MORNING COMMUTE. THE DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS COULD CAUSE FROSTBITE ON EXPOSED SKIN IN AS LITTLE AS 10 MINUTES.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TEMPERATURES AROUND 10 DEGREES BELOW ZERO EXPECTED TONIGHT.

Daimona

Usually we just roll our eyes at weather warnings (yeah, we know the wind is gonna blow), but this time, I have to admit they are fairly impressive for October.

I agree with you on that. Maybe not unusual weather for January or February, but not in October, I suppose.

Ariadne

Yeah, we had weather advisories last night too for ice. It not only got unusually cold it came with high winds. It was pretty bad. Any Halloween decorations we cared about came inside so they wouldn't get blown away or have their batteries drained. Winds aren't unusual and cold isn't unusual but usually the winds come in August and the cold in January, not together.

The worst part is that a few days ago there was a local news article about an elderly woman with dementia that had wandered off into the wilderness and they were still looking for her. I haven't heard that they'd found her...

Shanazel

Well, it is a positively balmy 37 degrees this afternoon, which is supposed to be our high for the day. Amazing how cozy temps in the thirties feel after a few days of sub-zero temps. The lowest temp on our thermometer at the house this week was -9, not including wind chill.

Ariadne

It has warmed back up to the high 60's low 70's. It's so nice to back to Autumn weather.