Introducing: Claudette!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

Or more properly Claudette 2, or stylized as "Claudette ][". The short version is that there was a Claudette in California who belonged to one of my teachers there. Claudette graced many a stage in her long and storied career. Said teacher retired, and unfortunately, I was NOT in the right place at the right time, so a dance sister ended up with her. That's fine, said dance sister will continue Claudette's career and its all good.

But at the same time, I wanted her, so I found the original plans Claudette was built from online, and built Claudette ][. Now that she's cut out, I have to sand, paint, and decorate her - which might take a bit. I have to make a tail, a set of reins, and a saddle blanket. And, unlike the original, Claudette ][ has her ears pierced, so she can wear earrings!

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That is so cool Zorba. You will keep us updated on your progress won't you?

Yep. It's gonna be a couple of days before I can put a coat of primer on her - tomorrow nite I have a Suhaila format workshop, if there's anything left of me on Sunday, I'll primer her then.

Ariadne

Well I've tried to like your post twice now Zorba but it's not taking.

Sooo....

What's the next step?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Post "likes" haven't been working of late...

Next step is well along, painting finish coat - a dun kind of color. Then I need to affix her eye lashes, add a tail, make some reins, and lastly a saddle blanket. I'm probably going to the fabric store today for the stuff to make the blanket, reins and tail. Unfortunately, we had an excellent fabric store within walking distance that went out of business (Hancock's), so I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Joann's.

Shanazel

I have to drive two and a half hours to the nearest Joann's since our Hancocks went out of business several years ago. Couldn't even find the needles and snaps I need and ended up ordering them online. :(

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Hancock's was better than Joann too. More variety in fabric.
Apparently, the Hancock name was purchased by Michael's - so maybe there'll be some kind of comeback eventually.

Shanazel

I've never cared for JoAnn's. We're supposed to get a Michaels but I don't know how much fabric they'll keep or what kind of quality. There are a pile of quilting shops in town but no place to buy decent apparel fabric. Good thing I've got a stash though my stash looks pretty paltry compared to those of serious stashers. Sold or gave away most of my dance fabric stash a couple of years ago. Gave a friend the quilting fabric before that.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Michael's *typically* doesn't carry fabric at all - but that may change.

Most of the fabric stores around here carry quilting stuff and fleece, for some reason. Jo Ann's is overloaded with fleece - I don't know what people do with it.

I'm usually looking for satin, silk, or some kind of brocade...

Ariadne

Our Michael's doesn't have any fabric, maybe that will change. Our Jo Ann's is all about quilting, children's clothing, prom dresses, crafts, and upholstery. Satin there's plenty of but silk and brocade are limited. It used to be a lot worse though.

Shanazel

Your description of JoAnns just about covers Colorado fabrics, too, which was once upon a time my guiding star of nice, affordable apparel fabric. Prom dresses, quilts, and decor just about fills the store with far more synthetics than anyone needs. Fleece. What in the hell IS it with fleece? Hancocks used to keep acres of the stuff in everything from Barbie pink to Desert Storm camouflage.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
There is a mom-and-pop fabric store in San Jose, Ca called "Fabrics R Us". OMG! They have any/every kind of fabric you could ever wish for! At good prices too! Every Belly Dancer in a 150 mile radius knows about this place - we'd all carpool together and descend on it like a plague of locusts! They occupy 3 separate store fronts in a strip mall. One of them looks like it was originally a Denny's or similar - a stand alone building in the middle of the parking lot. Then two other stores on the strip.
The Vietnamese owners are very accommodating - one time we wanted to take a bolt of AB sequin fabric outside to see what it looked like in daylight. No problem - and prices are always negotiable.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I wish there was something like that within a 150 miles of me now!
I have yet to find it...