Belly vs. Irish Dance

Raqas8

I'm Greek and have always loved belly dancing. My mom used to around the house was I was little, and I have a cousin who is unbelievable at it. We go to some places in Boston and Cambridge where they have belly dancing, but I wish there were more places that showcased it in Boston.

My work friend talked me into going to a traditional Irish dance show called Riverdance in Boston (this one https://www.bostonusa.com/event/riverdance/46699/) and I have never been before. How does it compare to belly dancing? I mean, could they be any more polar opposite?

Has anyone else seen this show or something that is similar that can let me know what I am in for? I don't think there is much of a competition between belly dancing and Irish dancing myself. Belly dancing is so much more sensual and fun in my opinion.

Shanazel

Riverdance isn't quite "traditional" Irish step dancing. ;) I mostly enjoyed the shows I've seen though I generally found the "plots" pretty far fetched.

Comparing the Riverdance version of step dancing and the stage version of belly dancing is kinda like comparing American football with European football. Feet, a field, goals, and a ball are involved but after that, they sharply diverge.

Enjoy the performances for what they are and don't worry too much about comparisons unless you are planning some kind of scholarly paper to infuriate devotees of both styles.

Ariadne

Riverdance isn't quite "traditional" Irish step dancing. ;)
Yes because they (gasp) use their arms.

The history of Irish step dancing is fascinating and I enjoy watching it immensely. You can't really compare the two styles though other then calling them both dance. Remember, dance form is shaped by the music and the music is very very different.

Enjoy the performances for what they are and don't worry too much about comparisons unless you are planning some kind of scholarly paper to infuriate devotees of both styles.
:lol: Oh, can you just imagine the screams?

Raqas8

Comparing the Riverdance version of step dancing and the stage version of belly dancing is kinda like comparing American football with European football. Feet, a field, goals, and a ball are involved but after that, they sharply diverge.

Ah! Great simile! That is what I thought. It ought to be interesting to see live anyway.

Greek Bonfire

I am also a flamenco dancer (student). There is one form of flamenco dance called "Sevillanas" which is similar to some of the Irsh dances. In ancient times, many Celtic people lived in Spain (Iberia back then) who emigrated to Ireland. You can see the influence of the sevillanas dance in some of the Irish dances which,to me, shows how dance "travels" across the world!

But I will be the first to admit that Middle Eastern Dance is my true passion of all dance forms.