New here-home movies

Nemo Aladdín

Hi all, and thanks to Salome for approving my account to post on here. I have been an admirer of belly dancing from an incredibly young age. My love for belly dancing began at Walt Disney World's Epcot inside the Morocco pavilion's Restaurant Marrakesh. This was my first encounter with belly dancing back in the early 1990's and thankfully I have three different home movies of the performances from back then, two of which I recently transferred from VHS to DVD and then video file which I have also uploaded onto YouTube. The first one is from December 1992 and is the shortest video, the second is from May 1993 (this is the most amazing and best performance in my opinion) and the third is from 1994 which I've yet to find in my home movies collection and currently still searching for it. I would like to share these very rare footages with the community here to discuss the particular style employed in the performances and the music being played. The music is of particular interest to me, especially in the 1993 video, I have tried identifying the songs played to no avail, I've used different music identifying apps and tools such as Shazam without luck. I guess since it is instrumental it makes it all the more difficult. I think that because Egyptian music is often used in belly dancing, it might be instrumental adaptations from Egyptian singers such as Abdel Halim Hafez, Oum Kalthom or Farid Al Atrash. I'm hoping someone on this forum will be able to identify the music. :pray: Because I'm new here, I would like to know what would be the best section to create a new thread to post my videos. Also if it's better to just post the YouTube link or the video file itself.

Thank you

Last edited:

Tourbeau

Depending on what you want to emphasize, you could post your clips in "Video" or "Performance" for a general discussion, "Music" if you're more interested in the songs, or "Dance Styles" if you want to talk about technique. I don't think the default setting for the forum is to convert a link to an embedded video, but it's probably not too difficult to change that, and it saves a step to not have to go somewhere else to watch the clips.

Based on what you've written, I'm guessing you might be "Fun Travels" on YouTube?

prince ali baba

Welcome Nemo!

Welcome Nemo! That's cool you've been to Epcot Center at Walt Disney World. I've only been to Disney Land in California myself. Glad to see a new member here. Look forward to seeing your videos and will have to check out your youtube channel. I think I found your Instagram via your youtube channel.

Ariadne

Welcome.

I think you have to have a certain level of membership before you can embed videos so you will have to post links till then but I would love to see them. :)

Greek Bonfire

I recently had the opportunity to take a lecture/workshop with Aegele who danced many years in Egypt back in the 80s. She treated us to wonderful stories and even more wonderful vintage videos.