Who is still dancing, where, and what kind?

Shanazel

I don't really dance much at all. I try but the scene here has disappeared. Between a lack of classes/teachers, others to dance with, and some new medical stuff I haven't mentioned- trying to practice on my own has never lasted more then a few days at a time. I haven't given up though, not completely. I still love it.

Hang in there, honey! :clap:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
No, its all the way across the country for me now. Besides, I escaped that state - I have little desire to go back!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't really dance much at all. I try but the scene here has disappeared. Between a lack of classes/teachers, others to dance with, and some new medical stuff I haven't mentioned- trying to practice on my own has never lasted more then a few days at a time. I haven't given up though, not completely. I still love it.

Yea, BD is in one of its periodic "bust" periods - look at how slow Gilded Serpent is, the death of Bhuz, and this forum is on life support. They all used to be "booming" so much that you couldn't keep up with them! Rakkasah is a shell of its former glory, etc, etc...

Tourbeau

[video=youtube;6rYgypaVFRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYgypaVFRE[/video]

[video=youtube;y0LScdEqr6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LScdEqr6Q[/video]

The older style in these clips is so much more elegant and emotive than the
modern style that...well, sometimes looks like a three year old trying to imitate a kung fu movie, with all those arms and legs aggressively flailing around.

On the other hand, a few of the old veil moves haven't aged quite so well (harder to walk the line between "coy and beguiling" and "Orientalist stereotype perpetuator" these days). And how many yards of fabric went into Alexandra's costume?!

A funny story: I was in one of the many workshops I took years ago with Alexandra - may have even been the very 1st, in any event I was pretty much a "baby belly" at the time. Gypsy style skirtwork. I guess she liked what she saw, as she had me come to the head of the class to help her demonstrate skirtwork with 2 dancers. She said, "Don't worry, I won't embarrass you." I lifted my skirt, spread it wide, and replied, "Here I am, dancing in a huge ass SKIRT, do I look like I can be embarrassed?" Hilarity ensued!

Did you see Billy Porter on Colbert the other night? He talks about wearing dresses around 2:20. I'm not going to get into whatever Gender Studies term paper one could write about the various facets of that interview, but Billy is clearly over what the patriarchy says about men in skirts.

[video=youtube;fY058WwzR7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY058WwzR7s[/video]

prince ali baba

Yea, BD is in one of its periodic "bust" periods - look at how slow Gilded Serpent is, the death of Bhuz, and this forum is on life support. They all used to be "booming" so much that you couldn't keep up with them! Rakkasah is a shell of its former glory, etc, etc...
I think it's just that fewer people are dancing now and the ones that are rather share photos on social media.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Did you see Billy Porter on Colbert the other night? He talks about wearing dresses around 2:20. I'm not going to get into whatever Gender Studies term paper one could write about the various facets of that interview, but Billy is clearly over what the patriarchy says about men in skirts.
Yep, he's right. A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself. And the fact of the matter is, skirts on men are far more comfortable than any kind of pants! On the subject of dresses, I'll quote my article:

[SIZE=+1]Most dresses are indeed only for women - guys look ridiculous in them because they're not cut for us. They don't fit our our chest/waist/hip ratio, nor our wide shoulders; and hang stupidly over our flat chests. In the classic measurement system, I would be 44/39/45. Dresses aren't normally cut that way!
With that said, a properly tailored dress made for the male physique both looks magnificent and is the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear - even more so than a skirt (no waistband!).

[/SIZE]

Shanazel

A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself.

I disagree with that. When women first began to wear pants, they were viewed as debasing themselves, just as men donning dresses are viewed currently. In these days, women in pants arouse little if any comment, positive or negative. It is an unremarkable fashion choice. Suggesting women elevated themselves by dressing, as it were, like men, is both incorrect and a tad insulting, though I realize you didn't mean it that way. I am old enough to recall days when we were required to wear dresses to school, and never mind if it was freezing outside. We mainly wanted freedom to stay warm and be able to run and jump and do flips on the bars at school without exposing ourselves, but fashion has always been a political statement, as well.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well, whatever. Opinions are like - well, you know! I too remember the tail end of the "no pants for women" nonsense - in fact, my elementary school attempted to implement such a rule that lasted exactly 2 weeks until the next school board meeting. Apparently, the roof was raised! As it needed to be.

Shanazel

Zorba, it is possible to disagree with someone without dismissing the dissenting viewpoint as being comparable to the end point of the alimentary canal.

I was halfway through high school before girls were allowed to wear pants to school, and even then we were forbidden to wear jeans (as males could) until most of the girls in school turned up wearing blue denim pants to protest. At that point, fashion became political, and the school district caved to a bunch of teen-aged girls who'd grown up in an era where everything from paper routes to law school was more or less closed to us.

But I digress from men in skirts. Athne, former student, favors a sleeveless, scoop-necked knit a-line dress, even in the depths of winter, though he might add a shawl when temps drop below freezing. It's a nice background for his over-sized jewelry. He says thanks for the link, by the way.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Shanazel - I'm not trying to be contentious, just humorous - sorry it backfired!

Tell Athne to feel free to contact me - the lowest temp I ever wore a skirt was 29 degrees in Chicago a few years back. Ankle length, heavy canvas with a slip. It was OK, but if it had been much colder or there'd been any wind, I would have wanted leggings of some kind! And Shawl's are da bomb!

Shanazel

Hey, it's okay, Zorba. Not to worry.

I will tell him. The very first time he appeared in public in one of his dresses was at a holistic affair where my class was performing. He got up and danced with us, and I reckon a new baby dancer was born that day. :)

Ariadne

Yep, he's right. A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself. And the fact of the matter is, skirts on men are far more comfortable than any kind of pants!
I'm going to disagree. I don't know a woman who doesn't think a man in a kilt is dang attractive (my brother totally rocked his). I have also been involved off and on most my life with recreation groups and have seen many a man in a "dress" that was tailored and designed for men and for the most part they looked GOOD. One of our favorite things to do is see peoples reactions when we're out shopping or some such in our garb. It can be hilarious. Interestingly enough it's the "dresses" on the men that seem to attract the least attention. Yes they're unusual and people notice but then they're like, oh- ok, and go on with their lives. It's the elaborate Elizabethans that get the comments, probably because they are the most (snooty voice) Theater...esk. So I personally think it's more a matter of wearing something made for men and their bodies vs wearing something obviously not made for them. Your quote from your article says it very well.

On the subject of dresses, I'll quote my article:

[SIZE=+1]Most dresses are indeed only for women - guys look ridiculous in them because they're not cut for us. They don't fit our our chest/waist/hip ratio, nor our wide shoulders; and hang stupidly over our flat chests. In the classic measurement system, I would be 44/39/45. Dresses aren't normally cut that way!
With that said, a properly tailored dress made for the male physique both looks magnificent and is the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear - even more so than a skirt (no waistband!). [/SIZE]

And a magnificent outfit is magnificent period. Not everyones cup of tea but I certainly don't mind seeing it.

PS. Shanazel is right about the women wearing pants thing. It wasn't seen as elevating but common or crass, definitely lower class. Fortunately now it's just standard. Honestly more women should wear dresses too.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'd just settle for stamping out neckties and suits for ALL TIME!

Unless my very survival is at stake: NEVER AGAIN!

Ariadne

Ohhhh... Kilts or three piece suit? I can't decide I love them both. A well tailored man just looks good no matter what he's wearing.

Though I suppose there is always this:
(https://clydekilts.com/kilt-hire/)
3-Grooms-Kilt-Hire-Ayrshire.jpg
And of course...
connery.kilt.jpg

Mmmmm sometimes you really can get it all. ;)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Talk about the best with the worst: A skirt with wool jacket and necktie. Oh, just YUK!

Shanazel

Honey, you're talkin' about wearing. We're looking. :D

I live with a guy who when we met owned dress jeans, daily jeans, work jeans, and a tuxedo, and who wore them all regularly. Still does, though the tuxedo less often since he retired from playing in the symphony.

PS According to the Scots, a kilt is not a skirt.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Honey, you're talkin' about wearing. We're looking. :D

I live with a guy who when we met owned dress jeans, daily jeans, work jeans, and a tuxedo, and who wore them all regularly. Still does, though the tuxedo less often since he retired from playing in the symphony.

PS According to the Scots, a kilt is not a skirt.

Yea, yea - I've got news for the Scots... :D

As an ex-orchestral musician myself, there's nothing less fun than exerting yourself under hot stage lights in a wool suit and a necktie - never mind a tux. I've never lowered myself to wear one. I consider these things not only uncomfortable and demeaning, but not particularly good looking either - suitable for drones and other interchangeable people, and not much else. Thank Goddess even banks are beginning to see how stupid male formal wear is, and are doing away with it, albeit very slowly. Get rid of the stupid necktie above all else, and dump the stupid wool jacket and the long sleeve shirt! Oh, and jeans. Jeans are dreadfully uncomfortable as well.

I'll wear nice clothing, but it better be comfortable - which means suits, ties, and tuxes are out. Or if I want to be REALLY "Formal", I'll wear my "EGA" outfit, which is almost as uncomfortable (and HOT!) as a suit, but at least it looks good and I don't end up looking like every other male there, i.e. a drone. I'll take a corset over a necktie any day of the week!