Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I don't really dance much at all. I try but the scene here has disappeared. Between a lack of classes/teachers, others to dance with, and some new medical stuff I haven't mentioned- trying to practice on my own has never lasted more then a few days at a time. I haven't given up though, not completely. I still love it.
    Hang in there, honey!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

No, its all the way across the country for me now. Besides, I escaped that state - I have little desire to go back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I don't really dance much at all. I try but the scene here has disappeared. Between a lack of classes/teachers, others to dance with, and some new medical stuff I haven't mentioned- trying to practice on my own has never lasted more then a few days at a time. I haven't given up though, not completely. I still love it.
    Yea, BD is in one of its periodic "bust" periods - look at how slow Gilded Serpent is, the death of Bhuz, and this forum is on life support. They all used to be "booming" so much that you couldn't keep up with them! Rakkasah is a shell of its former glory, etc, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post

The older style in these clips is so much more elegant and emotive than the
    modern style that...well, sometimes looks like a three year old trying to imitate a kung fu movie, with all those arms and legs aggressively flailing around.

On the other hand, a few of the old veil moves haven't aged quite so well (harder to walk the line between "coy and beguiling" and "Orientalist stereotype perpetuator" these days). And how many yards of fabric went into Alexandra's costume?!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    A funny story: I was in one of the many workshops I took years ago with Alexandra - may have even been the very 1st, in any event I was pretty much a "baby belly" at the time. Gypsy style skirtwork. I guess she liked what she saw, as she had me come to the head of the class to help her demonstrate skirtwork with 2 dancers. She said, "Don't worry, I won't embarrass you." I lifted my skirt, spread it wide, and replied, "Here I am, dancing in a huge ass SKIRT, do I look like I can be embarrassed?" Hilarity ensued!
    Did you see Billy Porter on Colbert the other night? He talks about wearing dresses around 2:20. I'm not going to get into whatever Gender Studies term paper one could write about the various facets of that interview, but Billy is clearly over what the patriarchy says about men in skirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Yea, BD is in one of its periodic "bust" periods - look at how slow Gilded Serpent is, the death of Bhuz, and this forum is on life support. They all used to be "booming" so much that you couldn't keep up with them! Rakkasah is a shell of its former glory, etc, etc...
    I think it's just that fewer people are dancing now and the ones that are rather share photos on social media.

Post Thanks / Like

And how many yards of fabric went into Alexandra's costume?!
    It was the eighties: nothing was made with less than twenty or thirty yards of chiffon.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbeau View Post
    Did you see Billy Porter on Colbert the other night? He talks about wearing dresses around 2:20. I'm not going to get into whatever Gender Studies term paper one could write about the various facets of that interview, but Billy is clearly over what the patriarchy says about men in skirts.
    Yep, he's right. A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself. And the fact of the matter is, skirts on men are far more comfortable than any kind of pants! On the subject of dresses, I'll quote my article:

Most dresses are indeed only for women - guys look ridiculous in them because they're not cut for us. They don't fit our our chest/waist/hip ratio, nor our wide shoulders; and hang stupidly over our flat chests. In the classic measurement system, I would be 44/39/45. Dresses aren't normally cut that way!
    With that said, a properly tailored dress made for the male physique both looks magnificent and is the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear - even more so than a skirt (no waistband!).

Post Thanks / Like

A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself.
    I disagree with that. When women first began to wear pants, they were viewed as debasing themselves, just as men donning dresses are viewed currently. In these days, women in pants arouse little if any comment, positive or negative. It is an unremarkable fashion choice. Suggesting women elevated themselves by dressing, as it were, like men, is both incorrect and a tad insulting, though I realize you didn't mean it that way. I am old enough to recall days when we were required to wear dresses to school, and never mind if it was freezing outside. We mainly wanted freedom to stay warm and be able to run and jump and do flips on the bars at school without exposing ourselves, but fashion has always been a political statement, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, whatever. Opinions are like - well, you know! I too remember the tail end of the "no pants for women" nonsense - in fact, my elementary school attempted to implement such a rule that lasted exactly 2 weeks until the next school board meeting. Apparently, the roof was raised! As it needed to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Zorba, it is possible to disagree with someone without dismissing the dissenting viewpoint as being comparable to the end point of the alimentary canal.

I was halfway through high school before girls were allowed to wear pants to school, and even then we were forbidden to wear jeans (as males could) until most of the girls in school turned up wearing blue denim pants to protest. At that point, fashion became political, and the school district caved to a bunch of teen-aged girls who'd grown up in an era where everything from paper routes to law school was more or less closed to us.

But I digress from men in skirts. Athne, former student, favors a sleeveless, scoop-necked knit a-line dress, even in the depths of winter, though he might add a shawl when temps drop below freezing. It's a nice background for his over-sized jewelry. He says thanks for the link, by the way.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 06-24-2019 at 01:24 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast