Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel - I'm not trying to be contentious, just humorous - sorry it backfired!

Tell Athne to feel free to contact me - the lowest temp I ever wore a skirt was 29 degrees in Chicago a few years back. Ankle length, heavy canvas with a slip. It was OK, but if it had been much colder or there'd been any wind, I would have wanted leggings of some kind! And Shawl's are da bomb!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, it's okay, Zorba. Not to worry.

I will tell him. The very first time he appeared in public in one of his dresses was at a holistic affair where my class was performing. He got up and danced with us, and I reckon a new baby dancer was born that day.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Yep, he's right. A woman putting on pants is seen as elevating herself, a man in a skirt or dress is seen as debasing himself. And the fact of the matter is, skirts on men are far more comfortable than any kind of pants!
    I'm going to disagree. I don't know a woman who doesn't think a man in a kilt is dang attractive (my brother totally rocked his). I have also been involved off and on most my life with recreation groups and have seen many a man in a "dress" that was tailored and designed for men and for the most part they looked GOOD. One of our favorite things to do is see peoples reactions when we're out shopping or some such in our garb. It can be hilarious. Interestingly enough it's the "dresses" on the men that seem to attract the least attention. Yes they're unusual and people notice but then they're like, oh- ok, and go on with their lives. It's the elaborate Elizabethans that get the comments, probably because they are the most (snooty voice) Theater...esk. So I personally think it's more a matter of wearing something made for men and their bodies vs wearing something obviously not made for them. Your quote from your article says it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    On the subject of dresses, I'll quote my article:

Most dresses are indeed only for women - guys look ridiculous in them because they're not cut for us. They don't fit our our chest/waist/hip ratio, nor our wide shoulders; and hang stupidly over our flat chests. In the classic measurement system, I would be 44/39/45. Dresses aren't normally cut that way!
    With that said, a properly tailored dress made for the male physique both looks magnificent and is the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear - even more so than a skirt (no waistband!).
    And a magnificent outfit is magnificent period. Not everyones cup of tea but I certainly don't mind seeing it.

PS. Shanazel is right about the women wearing pants thing. It wasn't seen as elevating but common or crass, definitely lower class. Fortunately now it's just standard. Honestly more women should wear dresses too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just settle for stamping out neckties and suits for ALL TIME!

Unless my very survival is at stake: NEVER AGAIN!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, if someone likes to relax in a three piece suit, wingtips, and Harvard tie, who am I to deny them?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh... Kilts or three piece suit? I can't decide I love them both. A well tailored man just looks good no matter what he's wearing.

Though I suppose there is always this:
    (https://clydekilts.com/kilt-hire/)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-Grooms-Kilt-Hire-Ayrshire.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	11194
    And of course...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connery.kilt.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	11193

Mmmmm sometimes you really can get it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about the best with the worst: A skirt with wool jacket and necktie. Oh, just YUK!

Post Thanks / Like

Well to each their own I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Honey, you're talkin' about wearing. We're looking.

I live with a guy who when we met owned dress jeans, daily jeans, work jeans, and a tuxedo, and who wore them all regularly. Still does, though the tuxedo less often since he retired from playing in the symphony.

PS According to the Scots, a kilt is not a skirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Honey, you're talkin' about wearing. We're looking.

I live with a guy who when we met owned dress jeans, daily jeans, work jeans, and a tuxedo, and who wore them all regularly. Still does, though the tuxedo less often since he retired from playing in the symphony.

PS According to the Scots, a kilt is not a skirt.
    Yea, yea - I've got news for the Scots...

As an ex-orchestral musician myself, there's nothing less fun than exerting yourself under hot stage lights in a wool suit and a necktie - never mind a tux. I've never lowered myself to wear one. I consider these things not only uncomfortable and demeaning, but not particularly good looking either - suitable for drones and other interchangeable people, and not much else. Thank Goddess even banks are beginning to see how stupid male formal wear is, and are doing away with it, albeit very slowly. Get rid of the stupid necktie above all else, and dump the stupid wool jacket and the long sleeve shirt! Oh, and jeans. Jeans are dreadfully uncomfortable as well.

I'll wear nice clothing, but it better be comfortable - which means suits, ties, and tuxes are out. Or if I want to be REALLY "Formal", I'll wear my "EGA" outfit, which is almost as uncomfortable (and HOT!) as a suit, but at least it looks good and I don't end up looking like every other male there, i.e. a drone. I'll take a corset over a necktie any day of the week!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast