Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

YIKES! What a huge fiasco!

If you ask her to leave your class, she will no doubt make a bigger fiasco of the situation. Talking to her, obviously didn't work. And if you let her vend, she thinks she can do what ever she wants, which is take over your class.

This is a horrible situation to be in and the Y isn't helping at all. All they see is that they are making more money by taking any cut of anything sold in their establishment. It's not right.

If I can think of any ideas, I'll post them, but I hope really hope things get better soon, as I'm sure you do as well.

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

I am as irrititated by the attitude of the YMCA as I am by the snake in the grass student. Instead of backing up a successful employee who already pours money into their coffers via a successful class, they leap in to make more money off of her by essentially charging her to sell her wares! Ingrates, opportunists, poor employers! Blessings on your head, Eshta, and may your problem child sprain her tongue.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Eshta, Ok you are the teacher DO NOT back down. If you don't take a stand for what is right she will walk all over you. This has become a battle of wills and she has figured you won't stand up to her. The Y has a contract with you to teach and I'm sure there is a statement regarding class conduct for all of the classes being taught. Discuss your situation with the Director of Programs and ask to see the policy regarding dismissal of students with disruptive conduct. Enlist the Director's help in solving this problem. After all the other students shouldn't have to suffer from her mean statements, they have paid their money to learn as well.
    Obtain a copy of the Student Right's and Responsiblities and post them clearly in the classroom. Each time she attempts to disrupt the class-stop and pointedly ask her to respect the other students right to learn-the embarassment alone will make her back down. I don't believe in fighting fire with fire- fight fire with water. Take back your power and douse the flames of discontent.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you have a little chat with the Y. Don't bring up the vending issue because it is irrelevant -- really, if she were otherwise being polite and cooperative and not disruptive, her little commercial end-run around you would have been annoying but that's it.

And that's what you can tell the Y if they press you about it and ask, "Isn't this really about the vending thing?" What I said.

You are having trouble fulfilling your contract with the Y to give the students their money's worth of competent instruction in the time alloted because she is doing everything she can to disrupt the class. The reason why -- let the Y guess, but keep your mouth shut.

Don't let anyone draw you into the vending issue -- then it becomes about YOU and not about her being a pain in the arse who should be dropped immediately. All you are there to discuss with the Y is how to do this without making a public scene. They are instantly gonna think about how this chick might sue them if they don't do it right, so let them take the lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vending, etc.

Dear Eshta,
    All I can really say is good luck trying to get anything through to the Y. I hope your's is better at really thinking through a situation than the one where I first taught. I left after a year or so and went to teach in a private studio instead. You might consider doing this if its an option.
    I got into trouble once for saying that Mohammed ( Peace be on him) did as much for women as Jesus did!! I guess the Young Women's Christian Association is not a good place to voice such radical opinions....
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Eshta,
    All I can really say is good luck trying to get anything through to the Y. I hope your's is better at really thinking through a situation than the one where I first taught. I left after a year or so and went to teach in a private studio instead. You might consider doing this if its an option.
    I got into trouble once for saying that Mohammed ( Peace be on him) did as much for women as Jesus did!! I guess the Young Women's Christian Association is not a good place to voice such radical opinions....
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Aisha, sometimes, I have to laugh to keep from crying...
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=eshta amar;23494]shoulders her way to the front and then gets upset when she can't follow the steps because she was late. Then she goes in the back of the class and sits on the floor and starts talking very loudly to the students in the back row. She judges what they are doing and makes comments about how they should dance.QUOTE]

Okay, just speaking from a student perspective. I've been in a class where one person did exactly what you describe, and just continually disturbed the class.

I quit that class.

So did a lot of other people.

You owe it to your other students to provide an environment where they can learn. You can't learn when someone is disrupting the class.

Talk about it with the Y and tell that you just are not able to conduct your class with this kind of disruption. (I take it you can't just kick her out of class?) Get the Y's permission to do so, and then give her one opportunity to straighten up.

If she acts up, do your other students a favor and pull her aside and tell her something like "I don't think this class really suits your needs anymore and I think you need to find a different teacher." or something like that. If she gets this pissy over the VENDING issue, then you can guarantee she's going to get super-pissy about something else in the future. You don't need that kind of drama in your classroom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12