First time teaching in France

Ranya

Hi there everyone, just wanted to share my joy and positive nervousness about me teaching first time in a new environment today! it is my first time teaching in France, since I have moved here about 6 months ago. I live in a very small town (veeery small and the majority is made up from older people, meaning retired people), but still hope a lot of people will show up for today's class which starts in just a couple of hours!!! yiii! I am so excited though a bit nervous 'coz before I always had my own teacher close to me, giving me tips and stuff whenever I needed and now I am all alone, but hey! there's always a start. I have no idea about the skills of the local dance community, I have been said there had been one teacher over here last year but that she was kinda weird! I guess I'm gonna let the ladies do a bit of impro to some easy song so I can see where they're at.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Maria_Aya

Heyy good luck !!!!
Be strong, positive and everything will go great !!!
Also you will have the opportunity to build slow by slow a new bellydance community.

Enjoy it also

Maria Aya:D

Wahiba

Hi Ranya,

all the first times are a little distressing :confused: , don't worry and everything will be ok.

Une grande inspiration, et un beau sourire et tout se passera bien:) .

ça me rapelle ma première fois il y a 10 ans;) . Tu nous raconteras

Ranya

So...just came back home from class...
There was ONE person :shok: and originally they were supposed to be seven so I was a little disappointed. but all in all it went fine. the girl was nice and sweet but I had a LOT to correct. But at least she makes efforts and is a sweet person, it was a pity however that she is too afraid to improvise and dance in front me...she said she was used to just follow the teacher...so to make things easier I made a bit of music analysis of some of Hossam Ramzy's stuff: in that way I gave her some directions to follow (shimmy on qanoun, flowing movements on nay) but would let her still express herself. but guess what! she wouldn't. she was just too stressed which made me sad. She will come back tomorrow and I really hope to make the joy for dance wake up in her!!! I just love the moment when people discover, that perfect technique is one of the most important things but that feeling the song and improvising from the heart is the real thing to master and that it isn't really that difficult as they usually think.
We'll see tomorrow!
:dance:

Last edited:

Ms Minx

Don't be disappointed. Remember trust is earned, rarely given freely. I am sure soon she will come around and so will other students ~ a lot of them! Congratulations! I know your class will grow and thrive.

Ranya

yep yep yep...guess what!today they were TWO, the girl from yesterday and a new one...and what's best...I finally made the first girl dance...improvise...!!! :dance: and she did not do it before with other teachers...as it came out, she had pretty good teacher with a good technique but they didn't analyse musical instruments with her and there was no real improvisation by students...she can move however so I guess that once she's learned what kind of movement goes with what, she could be quite a good dancer!!! the other one is hilarious, she's algerian and a lot of fun to work with..although she apparently had a wannabe teacher coz she does several movements wrong and I was scared she could hurt her knees...she is willing to study and work hard however, which is just awesome!!!
so, just wanted to share the latest news with you...they already said that they ABSOLUTELY want to continue and that they know a lot of people who would like to come also!!! :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap:

Salome

Administrator
Hi Ranya,

it can take time to build a student base when you are in a new area. But it sounds like you are on the road to success. Having a regular performance venue in town can help a lot in attracting new students. If there is a venue in your area that you could create a once a month show in I bet it would draw many students your way.

Ranya

Thank you Salome! actually that's what I was thinking 'bout. There are two arabic restaurants in town and both of them are willing to let me perform. however one of them pays much much MUCH better but they have another dancer on...the owner saw me dancing and proposed the job to me, since the other one is not a real trained dancer, just a moroccan girl to put on the "ambiance" (so doing some dance moves she saw on weddings and stuff)...he gave me two weeks to think it all over but I guess I'll be taking it!!! I'll make sure to keep you posted on all...
Right at the moment it's holidays, so the dance school I teach in is closed, but word got already around, since it is a small town, so I'm hoping :pray:

Lydia

Hi Ranya,just keep on goiing girl you be fine, make sure that that one is happy and she will bring and talk about you and you will get people,you just stick and have a good time be positive and it will happen ....good luck ..Lydia