Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I was born and raised in Venezuela, and I have a rather unusual Italian last name - on my dadís side my grandfather was Italian, and my grandmother was Venezuelan of black and French Antilles descent. On my momís side they are all from the Canaries Islands, which as you know itís closer to the North African coast than to Spain, so I donít rule out the possibility of having at least a few drops of North African blood in the mix.

Growing up I donít think I never really knew anyone who was 100 % of anything Ė at least most of the kids that went to school with me were descended from immigrants, same as me, and I didnít even live in that large a town.

Post Thanks / Like

100% Canadian, of French (Normandy) descendance... Although I heard that I have a long lost great great great grand-mother (or something very old like that!) who was a Native... but even then, that would still make me Canadian

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

What a fun post Sara! I am a mix...lol

First off I am American! 100%! But when you break it down....lol

I am German, Scottish and Norwegian. My Grandmother's last name is Jewish, so I am wondering if there is any Jewish blood in my family also.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall the Sioux words, but they have a saying that translates as, "We are all related." Glad to have so many interesting relatives on this forum!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Spanish, Italian and a bit Basque on my mother's side. Her grandparents immigrated to northern Mexico from Spain, eventually moved up to New Mexico where quite a few people speak with the Castilian lisp. I have a bit of it from growing up with my mother -- otherwise, can't speak Spanish to save my life.

And on my father's side, what they used to call "Pennsylvanian Dutch " (German, really), French and Irish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is always interesting to hear about heritage of Americans as it so mixed - in Europe most of the nations keep within their own borders and do not seem to mix that much...

I am to my knowledge 100% Finnish but from my motherīs side there is quite much Lappish blood (or Sami as they should be called) which can be seen in that most of my maternal family are dark-haired and tiny with little bit Asian features (some people claim that I also have some Asian look in me, but that is quite common even in "pure" Finnish folks)... in fact I myself tend to still beleive in Asian roots of Finnish people even though many geneologist have tried to prove that after all Finns are closer to Swedes and Germans than to Fenno-Ugric nations of Russia.

Post Thanks / Like

How interesting is to read about the "medley" of ancestors you all have... I have searched my family tree a bit as well and as far as I know it is all Estonian... But I doubt a bit about one of my grandma's as she has black-black hair and every time she got mad she'd vent it out by throwing dishes around the kitchen (having enough sense to clean the kitchen of other people first though) - not really what you'd consider typically Estonian.

I'd argue a bit with Kiraze here about Europeans staying within their own countries - with all the wars and occupations we've had, I'd say we are pretty well mixed. The only thing is that we've mainly been "mixed" with rather neighbouring nations. Estonians have been attacked and occupied a lot, so our basic gene pool is rather diverse... And we are now finally taking advantage of it - we are putting together a "gene database" of the population for research purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to see some of the family tree from the other side of the family today and there was Lincolnshire, England and Dublin, Ireland on there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    There's this geneology test thing you can take, cause no ones 100% anything when you go all the way back, and it tells you where your families came from and how much of everything you are.
    That test sounds interesting, but how to find out where you can do it? I'm a mix of all sorts of things; Indonesian, Dutch and some east Asian-don't-know-from-where ancestors and it would be interesting to find out where they were from. I have pictures of them, but can't identify where they are from.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Amulya,

Sorry this is a bit late. I'll try and find it. There was a whole program about this test. It was called 100% English.

As an update, I'll explain my upbringing. I've always lived in Yorksha, so I consider mysen Yorksha. All Romany/travellers in my family but from all over...

On one side:- Me great gram is Romanian. My gram I aint sure about. Dunno where she was born she dunt. But travelled alot. Met grandad who was Egyptian, got married, had three kids then got divorced. One of them kids is my biological dad. So from them I have a sort of Romanian/Eastern Romany heritage.

On mam's side:- (after the recent death of great gram we all learnt something completely silly which is why this has changed since I last posted..) Great gram was from Ireland but was a traveller there, her daughter my gram though was born in England and spoke English/Romanes as her first languages, Irish/Gaelic her second. Grandad was Welsh but didn't speak it very much, he preferred English. Moved to England, met me gram. Got married had three kids, one of em's me mam.

Lol. We have to keep crossing out our time lines cause it always changes. We hardly know where we come from, our lot.

Despite all that though I still think of mysen as being Yorksha which is strange cause when I go visit biological dad's side I speak Romany/English or Romanian (if it's my great gram), but if I go to mum's side I speak Romany/English or the tinsy bit of Irish/Welsh I know. I feel kinda gyped though cause me mam dunt like being Romany, and my dad (who brought me up) int, so his side don't even know really.

Oh well..

Anyone else? What about Aussies on here? Where are all you lot from? As we had any yet?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast