Family discovery!

Sara

:D

Other day on the train me n'mate were talking about her biological grandad, which got me thinking about my own, cause I've never known him. I have the bestest grandad in the world, who despite not being 'bloodily' related will always be m'grandad. So...

A few days later at my grams and I asked her what he was like. Turns out... he's EGYPTIAN! :shok: I was amazed. Lol. Anyways, this got me going on a roll, so I asked around my family, and I've decided that I am...

1/4 Welsh (Romany too but don't know where they originally came from :think:)
1/4 English
1/4 Romany (Romanian)
1/4 Egyptian

That's going from my grandparents (the biological ones) but it is quite a bit more complicated but I couldn't work it out. Crap at maths I am. :lol:

If it went on just my parents I would be 1/2 English (Romany) 1/2 Romany

So what about you lot? :D

Sara

Lol- 100% Dutch int boring. There's this geneology test thing you can take, cause no ones 100% anything when you go all the way back, and it tells you where your families came from and how much of everything you are.

I want one. I reckon it'd be interesting since we don't really know where the Romany families came from exactly.

Moon

I'm 1/2 Dutch, 1/4 Frisian (Ok that's an area in the North of the Netherlands, but the do have there own language and cultural background) and 1/8 German. However I see myself more as 100% Dutch cause I don't really know my Frisian family and my mom hasn't seen her German family for ages, so neither do I. And my parents both grew up in the "real Dutch" parts of the country, lol!
That's as far as I know, my dad is 100% Dutch and my mom has a Frisian mother and a German grandma.

Shanazel

Do you have any idea how many direct line ancestors we have in just nine or ten generations? As for me, lord, talk about a mutt: Scots-Irish, and Irish for the most part (and yes, they are different) with Welsh, Scots, English, French, Dutch, African, Caddo and Cherokee melting into the family at some point to form gen-u-ine American mongrel.

Maria_Aya

Ahlan wa Sahlan ya habibti Shanazel !!!!

We all got to search our family I'm sure some arab blood will be in us, otherwise all this madness is not explainable :rolleyes:

xooxo
Maria Aya:D

Sara

Aye- if I go back a long way I can find roots in Egypt, Mongolia, India, Ireland, England, Wales, Romania, and that's about it for now. I think that's about 7 generations not including me of course :D .

I love this stuff. It's well fun.

Shanazel

Ahlan wa Sahlan ya habibti Shanazel !!!!

We all got to search our family I'm sure some arab blood will be in us, otherwise all this madness is not explainable :rolleyes:

xooxo
Maria Aya:D

No doubt it's there with all the rest, but whatever middle eastern blood I have is not up to the task of translation- what did you write to me, Maria?:think:

Sara

Shanazel- You make me smile sooo much! Even if I've had a slightly rubbish day you always manage to cheer me up! In fact, you all do.

Babylonia

I'm Scotch-Irish too. My grandmother was from Ecuador via Spain.

I married a Cuban who learned to speak English with a southern accent, lost the drawl and now speaks perfect English (not a trace of any regional accent) and will only speak Spanish to his mother (at a high volume).

My daughters have the surname Rodriguez but speak no Spanish but the older one speaks fluent Japanese. Actually alot of her friends are of Hispanic descent (first generation, too) and they'd be lucky to get a "C minus" in Spanish class.

Last edited:

Ariella

Shanazel, I may have you beat. I am half Latvian and the rest is some combination of Irish, French, Scottish, German, Dutch, Ukranian, Austrian, Russian, Polish, and Swiss. So in other words, I too am American.

Well here's another for American melting pot, primarily African with Cherokee from my maternal great grand-father and certainly some European blood is in there too(possibly Irish and English). My aunt was able to trace our family tree on my maternal side to 1840's, beyond that my roots are shrouded in the mists of time and the horrors of slavery.
Yasmine

Aisha Azar

Ancestry

Dear Ariella,
You remind me of my grandson!!!

His grandparents on his Dad's side, that they know of, are African, Scottish and Cherokee Indian.

I am Armenian French, Penobscot Indian and Norwegian
My husband is Polish, Dutch and German

My grandson says he is "African and Polish". I sometimes call him Mobotu
Wojohowitzstiviknyevski. ( His name is really William Anderson, which sounds so boring for a person of such colorful ancestry!!)

Regards,
A'isha

Suheir

I'm half Irish and the rest is English with a bit of Welsh.

When I was at school I had friends who were the following mixes: Polish/Italian, Chinese/German, Turkish/French and an awful lot of Irish mixed with Maltese, French, Indian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, Greek, Lebanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Mexican, New Zealand, Australian, Afro-Caribbean, Ghana, Malaysian...can you guess I went to a Catholic school?

Having lived in London all my life I'm not sure I actually know anybody who's English/English!

Sara

In the north there's quite a few English/English, never bin to London before. Looks really big and scary. :lol:

Ariella

My grandson says he is "African and Polish". I sometimes call him Mobotu
Wojohowitzstiviknyevski. ( His name is really William Anderson, which sounds so boring for a person of such colorful ancestry!!)

Regards,
A'isha

How does one pronounce Wojohowitzstiviknyevski? How about something like that for a dance name?

Aisha Azar

Ancestry

Dear Ariella,

It is a "Polish" name I made up!!

Wo-jo-ho-ITZ-tiv-ick-NYEV-ski.

(It was the the Polish thing I could think of besides our own real last name!! My father inlaw is 100% Polish)

Regards,
A'isha

sstacy123

Hmm, well I know I had ancestors from England, and I've got a tiny speck of Cherokee blood, but don't know what else.