New costumes

eshta amar

Hey everyone. I love to make my own costumes. That is pretty much all I do. I only own a few that are pre-made or came form Egypt. Let me know what you think. Here are the 2 newest ones.

Maria_Aya

Wow like them very much !!!

I like the colours at the blue-green one, remindes me for a reason of mermaid (maybe because of the sea colours)
And the brown one, I like the way you added the chains and the stones.

Maria Aya :clap:

TiaSerena

They are beautiful! You have a true talent. I can only dream that I could vision and create my own costumes like that. I have tried... it's not pretty... not pretty at all. lol.

Shanazel

The blue one makes me think of dancing under water and the bronze one is sheer earth- gorgeous color choices!

eshta amar

thanks!

thanks everyone! the green one is actually several shades of teal with a velvet trumpet skirt. It is edged in crytal sequins of various shades. It has big stones and lavender and green loop fringe. The other one is black velvet with crystals, coins and turquoise bead tassels. It has a sheer chiffon skirt.
I have been taking studio pictures every month trying to get a handle on what looks good and what doesn't. Since I am a bigger girl I have to watch out for those things!
I think I am going to start making custom costumes for other dancers. I feel like I have enough experience at it now to branch out. Any ideas on how to start?
P.S. Here is another one I made. I call it my treasure chest.

Moon

Eshta Amar said:
I think I am going to start making custom costumes for other dancers. I feel like I have enough experience at it now to branch out.

What a great idea! :D Where do you live? How much do you costumes cost???? ;)

eshta amar

I live in Los Angeles. I run a monthly showcase in North Hollywood the first wed. of every month. I am not sure what I'd charge. It depends on what the dancer wanted.
It usually costs me around $150-$200 for materials. Rhinestones etc...And depending on the design it could take me up to 40 hours of work so I would guess somewhere in the $800 range including materials. Which is what a lot of dancers pay for Eman or Abla I know! It seems about right for a custom piece but it depends on the design.
What do you think?
Here is a red mesh dress I did a while back. It has rhinestone straps, trumpet skirt, big crystals and the mesh goes diagonally down the side with sequins. I think for something like this maybe only $350 or $400 but for the fancy bedlah like my green one up at the top definitely in the $800 range. But they would all come with headpieces, armbands - maybe anklets and a silk veil.
I love costumes with parts!

Shanazel

I tried to start a thread on costuming as a business once, but there wasn't enough interest and it died.

A dressmaker once told me her rule of thumb was to figure out what her materials cost, add up her labor costs, and add 10-20% to the total. I don't know if that is still true or not, but I would not go into costume making with the idea that I couldn't charge as much as other costumers just because I wasn't famous. I know how much time the damned things take to make, and people should expect to pay what the costumes are worth. You don't go into business to do people a favor, you go into business to provide a service and make a living. Good luck to you, Eshta. You are in a location where you can get good prices for good work, and your designs are plenty eye-catching.

Shanazel

belly_dancer

your costumes are lovely... the 2nd one (brown or is it black???) especially does your figure justice!!!!
yes... I think costuming especially for "larger" ladies.. or ladies with (what they perceive to be) "figure flaws" they want to hide or play down would be a great angle...
definitely charge "time & materials" (with a "it will cost somewhere around this much" type estimate!) rather than a flat rate.... it is more fair to you & the customer.. but to have a costume that accentuates one's indivdual beauty & dance will be your trademark.... & luckily, (in LA) you have a big group of bellydancers which to advertise to).... good luck!!!

Suhad

I don't know if it would work for bellydance costumes, but my friend Greg makes beaded jewelry and sculpture; he charges a flat rate of $15 per hour for his creations, and nothing for his supplies. He has a wholesaler's license as well though, so that helps a lot with the supply costs.

Maria_Aya

All these years I was complaining about costumes being too high priced.
The last months I'm trying to make bra's and belts, and at sewing I'm great, but the work to the beads etc its un-payable !!!!
I admire the patient of the people that can do it, and from now on, when i like something I'm just gonna pay for it !!!

Maria Aya:cool:

Sha-ri

A dressmaker once told me her rule of thumb was to figure out what her materials cost, add up her labor costs, and add 10-20% to the total. I don't know if that is still true or not, but I would not go into costume making with the idea that I couldn't charge as much as other costumers just because I wasn't famous. I know how much time the damned things take to make, and people should expect to pay what the costumes are worth. You don't go into business to do people a favor, you go into business to provide a service and make a living. Shanazel

That's exactly why I don't take any orders.

I make many of my costumes myself and get lots of admiration for them. I also get requests for customer orders from time to time.

But noone is willing to pay much for something that isn't a well known brand. I have expenses of 150-250 Euro per costume depending on material and how many rhinestones I use.

I once had miscalculated a bra-directly stitched skirt (it shrank a bit from beading sol at the end it was too small for me) and I sold that costume totally new.
I spent 200 Euro on material, 40 hours on work and then got told by someone it would look like a 500-Euro Bella costume but when she could afford a Bella she would buy from them and as my costume was not a brand she would be willing to pay me 300 for it. At last it would be only a pretty selfmade.

So let's see, (300-200materials)/40hours = 2 Euro 50 Cent per working hour.

Hey, I'm not the Salvation Army to provide dancers who want designer costumes they can't afford :mad: And BTW do you think designer costumes are heaven sent? They are all selfmade my someone!

eshta amar

That's true and on my last trip to Egypt I was totally unimpressed by what I had made there and what I saw. I went to eman's and of course she had gorgeous things for tiny skinny dancers. But they weren't especially opulent. They all had a similar style. Draped with minimal beading. She wouldn't even let me try on one of her costumes except some pharonic dress style which I really didn't like. I think she was alluding to me being too big for her costumes. And I'm not that big - like a US size 12/14 so seriously...that did not want to make me buy something from her and she charges about $400-$500.
And the custom costumes I had made were truly gorgeous and cheaper but never had enough rhinestones or quite the right fit.
So I think that dancers who have run through the many costume processes here and abroad are pretty well aware of the idea that you get what you pay for.
That's why I make my own.
I love Pharonics and Bella costumes. But there are so many dancers nowadays that I see a lot of stuff that looks the same. When I go to festivals and shop or watch the shows you rarely see anything new and unique. It mostly just gorgeous and off the rack style.
I guess I just want something totally new.
Jillina does that you know. She has most of her costumes made by a private costumer who is in her troupe. And her stuff is awesome and always different and interesting.
whew! I am long winded today! Have a great weekend everyone!

Shanazel

She wouldn't even let me try on one of her costumes except some pharonic dress style which I really didn't like. I think she was alluding to me being too big for her costumes. And I'm not that big - like a US size 12/14 so seriously...that did not want to make me buy something from her and she charges about $400-$500.!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: And if there was one with steam coming out the ears, I'd add that. The nerve of some people. I hope she goes broke.

KuteNurse

thanks everyone! the green one is actually several shades of teal with a velvet trumpet skirt. It is edged in crytal sequins of various shades. It has big stones and lavender and green loop fringe. The other one is black velvet with crystals, coins and turquoise bead tassels. It has a sheer chiffon skirt.
I have been taking studio pictures every month trying to get a handle on what looks good and what doesn't. Since I am a bigger girl I have to watch out for those things!
I think I am going to start making custom costumes for other dancers. I feel like I have enough experience at it now to branch out. Any ideas on how to start?
P.S. Here is another one I made. I call it my treasure chest.

You are very talented at making costumes and you should share your gift with others. You could make a lot of money if you do it right. Start with a small-select clientelle. You don't want to be overwhelmed right from the get-go. Once you get experience and you are more comfortable, you can go bigger and take on more clients. That is all the advice I can give you.