Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about paper degrees!

I would much rather work for the National Trust or something (I'm going into heritage. One day I want to manage an English mansion), but instead I have to do a three year course. I will be doing work experience at some points along with the course, but some times I think I'm just going to waste time and money.

It's like learning to cook from a cookbook. It always turns out best when you try it yourself a few times. Cook book recipes never work for me either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    ... I would much rather work for the National Trust or something (I'm going into heritage. One day I want to manage an English mansion), but instead I have to do a three year course. I will be doing work experience at some points along with the course, but some times I think I'm just going to waste time and money. (
    Well, Sara, the comfort I can offer is that if you know what you want and what you need no education is wasted. Seek out the people doing what you want to do and ask them a bazillion questions. Find out what they studied and what they WISHED they studied, and how they got their jobs.

You're a student. Not just any ol' nosy member of the public.

And think about having a backup position -- if you don't get the job of your dreams right off, what else could you do with what you know, or what else would you need to make you more flexible? Any of your teachers who have kept in touch with old students should have some suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Education

Dear Sara,
    And I would take Kharmine's suggestion that "no education is wasted" very seriousluy. I have taken college and university level classes in everything from religion to marketing, and have found that all of those classes have made me a more knowledgeable and more informed dancer. I am also constantly amazed at how much info can apply directly to my dance career in one way or another.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about paper degrees!

I will be doing work experience at some points along with the course, but some times I think I'm just going to waste time and money.

You never know what is going to be relevant- my dad was able to get a transfer out of Nagasaki (shortly after the bomb was dropped) to Kokura because he could name the 1945 starting lineup for the University of Arkansas football team.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I feel like that because I'll be in debt by around £20000 at the end of it, and instead I could be learning how to do it by working.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is a lot of money. I don't blame you for being frustrated at havng to shell that much out. Are there scholarships you could apply for?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I only pay a fifth of the price though. Tuition fee's cost £15 000 but you only have to pay £3000 a year. Then there's £3000 for accomodation a year. I get a grant so it comes to £20000 ish. Then there's all my everday money.

Post Thanks / Like

Sara, I know the debt can be worrying and we do live in a society where being in debt is acceptable, in fact if your parents are not well off then you know that you will be in debt if you go into full time higher education. I was lucky when i did my course as i got a full grant and only had to apply for a small loan (relatively to others).
    Dont let this put you off though, it is such a wonderful opportunity and you learn so much, grow as a person, meet interesting people and learn about life, I loved it and totally recommend it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I feel like that because I'll be in debt by around £20000 at the end of it, and instead I could be learning how to do it by working.
    I definitely feel that an educaton is very,very important, I'm hoping to go back to school someday. But I've been out of the workforce for many years being a SAHM. I know that even with a masters I'd be hard pressed to find a job without alot of experience. That said my hubby has a great job in a coveted field. He only has a high school diploma but has been working since he was 12 and in his field since he was 17. He gets lots of intern and paid employee applications from people with this diploma and that but prefers people with work experience who can show that they can actually show up to work. He was willing to work his way up and alot of the people these days show up expecting the corner office their first week there. Of his friends who went to college none are working in their field of choice and they still are paying off student loans.

That said I wish you luck and I hope you find your dream job.

Post Thanks / Like

The high cost of higher education is a tragedy, I tell ya. It should be a disgrace how society is loading young people with debt the minute they're out of school.

Sara, apply for any legitimate, low-cost financial aid you can, and diligently dig around. There are always a few odd and rather obscure scholarships that aren't advertised. Whatever you can get will chip away at your costs. Just don't pay some "scholarship service" -- you can do all the hunting online for free.

Do you have any skills that can help you get a part-time job while you're in school? I don't know how belly dancing would help there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast