Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is not a to stupid question, but what is somatics, I can not say I have heard of it before.

Post Thanks / Like

late to this thread..... what frustration!!! especially because the WHOLE class is not getting it!!!
    I notice sometimes (like ESPECIALLY w/ a move like the camel) that the whole class either gets it the 1st time (amazing!) ... or NONE of them are getting it... (sad).... (usually some of the more coordinated ones get it, the rest take time)... with those all or nothing times.... I always wonder.... how did I explain it differently that made em ALL get it (or confused em all!)... or are the stars just aligned a certain way on those days
    I am lucky to teach ongoing classes, so it is not like .." ok folks, by week 4 we will be doing....".. so I am able to go with the flow!
    it sounds like you are more on a "schedule"... maybe with the "slow" class, you can experiment with more of a "flow"..
    ....concrete bits that should help...
    *for sure what everybody said about changing to something different & FUN when you sense their frustarion level peaking (I notice that the week following a "difficult time getting it" I may lose a few students... but if they leave class with a sense of accomplishment,,, or at least fun, they WILL be back!!)
    *I tend to have multi-level classes... & I notice that it REALLY helps new students bridge that gap between me & them, when they see someone closer to their level, but who is getting it.. (or at least starting to!)
    maybe you could somehow invite some advanced beginners to a couple of classes (they could use em as "make ups" if they've missed some of theirs??).... my students USUALLY move along pretty quickly... and over the years, I have noticed, that some of my slowest classes have been made up of ALL beginners... somehow having people in class who are "getting it" helps spur along those who are a bit slow!
    good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi bellydancer, No you're not to late. Any and all fedback is appreciated. So here is an update. The following week,instead of launching into our warm-up, We did a "silent' standing pose, w/ eyes closed. I encouraged them to listen only to the sound of my voice. I used breathing exercises to assist with relaxation. I had noticed the students were always tense. We went into basic position w/ eyes closed because I wanted them to FEEL their own bodies. From there, we drilled all the basic moves up to that point, we did not learn any new moves at all. During the combination section, we reviewed the music, and weight changes and transitions. We continued in this manner for the next week. I noticed and immediate improvement. During this week I discussed the importance of asking questions and practicing , even if it's one move. Well this past Thursday, we moved forward w/ new moves-the dreaded undulation. OMG, THEY GOT IT!!!! You should have seen the looks on their faces as their bodies began to wave a bit at a time. It was awesome! They left w/ beaming faces and all sorts of questions. Yeah, a few dropped out,but those that stuck it out had a real victory!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

That's great! Congratulations!
    Wow, you must be a very very good teacher, I'm sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Moon but I prefer to give the credit to the students, they are the one who have to work hard to make it happen.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy for you and your students, perhaps that mean it is hope for me to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi bellydancer, No you're not to late. Any and all fedback is appreciated. So here is an update. The following week,instead of launching into our warm-up, We did a "silent' standing pose, w/ eyes closed. I encouraged them to listen only to the sound of my voice. I used breathing exercises to assist with relaxation. I had noticed the students were always tense. We went into basic position w/ eyes closed because I wanted them to FEEL their own bodies. From there, we drilled all the basic moves up to that point, we did not learn any new moves at all. During the combination section, we reviewed the music, and weight changes and transitions. We continued in this manner for the next week. I noticed and immediate improvement. During this week I discussed the importance of asking questions and practicing , even if it's one move. Well this past Thursday, we moved forward w/ new moves-the dreaded undulation. OMG, THEY GOT IT!!!! You should have seen the looks on their faces as their bodies began to wave a bit at a time. It was awesome! They left w/ beaming faces and all sorts of questions. Yeah, a few dropped out,but those that stuck it out had a real victory!
    Yasmine
    YEAH!!!!!! isn't that the BEST feeling.... watching your students blossom!!!!
    congratulations!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, good on you, Yasmine, for finding the way to release the inner dancer in your students!

That just makes the experience of teaching so awesome, doesn't it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123