2020 World Weather Thread

Daimona

And it is time for a new weather thread.

The last couple of days have been hitting some warm weather temperature records for January (I had to get my spring jacket), but today temperature have dropped and is pivoting at 0C. It is snowing. It is blowing. And it is the first storm hitting us this year. I guess there will be more.

Shanazel

Thanks for starting the new weather thread, Daimona. We had some snow last night but looks like most of it has already blown off. 27 degrees F here, bright and sunny.

Ariadne

It's been nice the last few days. Nice and warm in the middle of the day. I know it won't last, it's January and the nights are still freezing, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Greek Bonfire

I'll be happy if we here in Chicago avoid another polar vortex. Last year's was something I don't ever want to experience again. This year, we got snow around Halloween but since then, it's been more mild than cold and snow. Stay tuned!

Shanazel

Front moved in this afternoon and dropped the temps considerably. Yesterday's wind in our little spot at the bottom of yon bonnie brae peaked out at 73 mph. Only blowing about 25-30 mph today so I didn't even bother to braid my hair.

Ariadne

Well after an unusually cold early winter we are now having unusually temperate weather for January. During the day at most you need a sweater and a light jacket in the evening. This is February weather. I wonder what warm stream moved into southern California to give us this?

Shanazel

Snow last night. Sunshine today. Snow predicted for tonight. I'm getting tired of being cold, but got a few more months of it to come.

Ariadne

And the cold weather front moved back in Tuesdays/Wednesday evening. I've turned into one of those people who can go, cold weathers coming- I feel it in my bones. ;) Well if I can get out of bed or off the couch. Ouch.

Shanazel

You and me both, Ariadne. Big storm moving in Sunday night. Hope my son and family don't have any trouble driving home from the northwestern part of the state; roads are supposed to get bad. If they can't get home, guess we'll have to figure out a way to get to their place to take care of stock.

Shanazel

Tomorrow is 02-02-2020. A palindromic Imbolc! Cloudy and windy today, temp currently 40 degrees, might rain (RAIN!) a bit sometime today. Winds 35-40 mph steady, gusts 60+mph. Snowstorm predicted for tomorrow night and Monday, with accumulations rivaling that we got at Thanksgiving. Got wood, got books, got- oh, jeez! There's no green chilis in the house! (Plans emergency grocery store run.)

Shanazel

Update.

Currently, it is 51 degrees here (FIFTY-ONE DEGREES!) with a good stiff breeze to blow high profile vehicles off the highways. Clouds are beginning to move in, heralding the predicted winter storm that is supposed to move in this afternoon and leave a foot of snow here at the foot of the mountain. All this wind means drifting and ground blizzards to make driving challenging. We haven't been snowed in this year, but if the wind keeps up and we get a foot of snow, I reckon it'll be a challenge to get to the stable, let alone into town.

Green chilies have been purchased, however, so life is good.

By the way: today is not only a palindrome but is the 33rd day of the year with 333 days to come. Things like this make me ridiculously happy.

------

Shanazel

Holy Howling Blizzard, Batman. 17 degrees, 30-35 mph wind, highest gust recorded in our little wind tunnel was 75 mph last night. Not sure if it is still snowing or just blowing around. Quarter inch of ice under the snow from light rain that froze last night. Husband off to bust drifts and feed horses. If he can get out of our neighborhood, he'll make it to the barn since someone else has already managed to get up the paved road. College called at 3:15 a.m. to say campus is closed today. Seriously, 3:15 a.m. I do not sleep well after being blasted awake by the phone at that hour. Calls usually come about 5:30 or 6:00, and I'm pretty sure everyone would've figured it out as soon as they looked outside. Hmm. I don't think I'll be pruning roses today.

Ariadne

No, I don't suppose you will be.

The wind is here too just not the blizzard part, though they have said we might get snow. Winds aren't that uncommon in the winter, this is a desert and we have a huge mountain to the north that the wind can just roll straight down with the right weather condition. It doesn't come often but when it does it's fierce. Personally I start counting broken store signs. So far I've only seen one so it could be worse. Now if it just wasn't so COLD.

Greek Bonfire

We are getting some more snow here but that's the usual for February. But so far I haven't had to wear the really heavy duty winter coats and I'm hoping to escape that this year, just for a change, glide in and glide out of winter.

Shanazel

I've dragged out the heavy coat often enough this winter for both of us, Fotia.

Temperature, snow, and wind have moderated somewhat and I made it out of my driveway , down the dirt roads, and onto the pavement without getting stuck today. Got stuck twice yesterday, both times at the foot of my driveway. The snow didn't stop me, but the underlying sheet of ice sure did. Thank goodness for a husband who pushed me out in the morning, and used his Nort Dahkoda winter driving skills to get the car up the icy slope of the driveway in the afternoon. Dat boy can drive in da snow, ja, you betcha. (y):giggle:

Daimona

I spent the day on the roof shovelling snow off the roof (quite heavy snow fall the last week. Glittering snow crystals im the sun, partly cloudy and temperatures +/-1°C.
Had to change location on the roof several times because of strong wind from various directions (trying to toss the snow off the roof, but the wind blew it back immediately). Quite a work-out....

Daimona

Extreme low pressure around here today. Several flights have been cancelled because of it because the instruments aren't working properly (!) and the sea level is much higher than normal. Other than that, heavy rains and wind howling around the corners.

Shanazel

20 degrees, cloudy, not much wind for the moment. Snow furries off and on all day. Flurries. Snow furries are out in the cold chewing on bones even as we speak. Arkansas Red will happily stay out there until he looks like a snow drift.