2022 Worldwide Weather Thread

Shanazel

Morning. 22 degrees, 25 mile per hour wind, windchill equals 5 degrees. Wednesday and Thursday low of -30 expected with a high below 0. Gonna be a mite chilly, even if the wind doesn't blow. I wouldn't mind except that's not good weather to be traveling and I'd like to go down to my daughter's place for the weekend. Maybe it'll warm up.

Greek Bonfire

We are bracing for a big storm starting tomorrow afternoon and happening until Saturday at 6:00 p.m. It's also going to be single digits as well. So I'm going to whine again because the last two years we were stuck inside due to COVID and now the very bad weather. However, I have enough food and drink in the house because it's unlikely anyone will make it over for the holidays. BIG WHINE.

Shanazel

Aw, that's too bad, Focia. Maybe by Sunday things will be better. The storm hit here in earnest about noon. It was 30 degrees and perfectly clear at 6:30 a.m., -12 and beginning to snow at 11:15 a.m., and by 12:45 p.m., it was -18 with whiteout conditions. My windshield iced up because the heater and wndshield wipers couldn't keep up. I was glad to get home. Temperature prediction for tonight has improved from -35 to -27. We'll see, I reckon. It is -19 right now not counting the wind chill. My neighbor took off this morning going east just ahead of the storm, but it caught up with her halfway across Nebraska.

Shanazel

Currently negative 28 F at the foot of the mountain. Windchill at midnight was almost negative 50 F. Electricity went off in our rural area at 8:45 pm and was out for 5 hours. We have a woodstove, but some folks probably got pretty chilly before all was said and done. Supposed to get up to a balmy negative 7 this afternoon.

Shanazel

The latest word is that the official lowest temperature last night (or rather early this morning) was negative 42, NOT counting windchill. That's the low temp record for the entire period records have been kept in our fair county.

Ariadne

That is waaay to cold!

Daytime temps are in the fifties right now, nights are supposed to be above freezing but I don’t believe it because any water not in the sun ices over, and it’s raining off and on, (which makes us wonder if when that will turn into snow).

Shanazel

It's -14 right now with a windchill that drags it down to -35. My neighbor is out of town, so this afternoon, I walked over to get her mail and check on her house. I was outside maybe five minutes and my face was well on its way to freezing before I got back in my own house. Some people don't respect weather like this enough. They think because they're going from a warm house to a warm car they don't need winter gear, but what happens if you have car trouble? Stopping to fix a flat tire could get you killed. Why am I thinking like this? Reminding myself to check my winter survival kit before I take off on a four hour drive to my daughter's house on Saturday.

Greek Bonfire

Luckily, we got maybe an inch or two of snow but it was very cold; however, you can transport in dry weather, so my holiday plans went accordingly. In fact, they sent us home early last Thursday and Friday (miracle of miracles) they let us work from home because it was below 0 degrees Farenheit.

Shanazel

Drive to and from my daughter's house went well- no whiteouts, roads were reasonably to very good. Trip home tonight was made a tad challenging by crosswinds with 70+ mph gusts. A few high profile vehicles were on the stretch that was closed to light, high profile vehicles, but I only saw a few tumped over on the side of the road. One time when we had these conditions, I saw at least a couple dozen rigs off the road, eight or ten of them along only a couple miles of road. I was glad to get home, even though we were in the middle of another power outage, this one due to wind rather than ice and snow. At least the temperature wasn't sub-zero this time.

Greek Bonfire

Drive to and from my daughter's house went well- no whiteouts, roads were reasonably to very good. Trip home tonight was made a tad challenging by crosswinds with 70+ mph gusts. A few high profile vehicles were on the stretch that was closed to light, high profile vehicles, but I only saw a few tumped over on the side of the road. One time when we had these conditions, I saw at least a couple dozen rigs off the road, eight or ten of them along only a couple miles of road. I was glad to get home, even though we were in the middle of another power outage, this one due to wind rather than ice and snow. At least the temperature wasn't sub-zero this time.

I heard there were outtages but didn't know they were this bad.

Shanazel

I heard there were outtages but didn't know they were this bad.

We generally don't have two in the same week. The substation isn't too far from my house, so is subject to the same higher-than-anywhere-else-in-town windspeeds that we are. I read in the paper this morning that wind speeds here in the corridor were sustained at 60 mph yesterday with gusts to 80 mph. I don't go anywhere near the wind corridor section of the highway when wind is this bad. A few years ago, an acquaintance's SUV got taken out when a semi blew over and slid down the icy highway, plowing right into her and the car behind her. All drivers and passengers were injured, but all survived. Half a dozen times a year, we can look out the upstairs window and see emergency lights at that stretch. When the warnings say TAKE ANOTHER ROUTE, they really mean "TAKE ANOTHER ROUTE, YOU STUPID SONS OF *******."