Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samia Gamal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Samia Gamal

You wonder about the title in the instructor's forum?

The thing is: Last year my teacher happened to mention during class that she was trained in general oriental dance by the egytian Samia Gamal back home in Persia.
    None of my mates had ever heard about this 'person' before, so I knew my teacher did not tell us a lie.
    My teacher is from a persian artist family and her family sent her to several (persian) dancing teachers. At least they also accepted training in belly dance which became my teacher's only life-earning later on in Germany.

My question to you is:
    Does anyone know about Samia' bio in detail? When and why did she live in Persia training local girls in BD? According to my teacher's age it must have been in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simone, Yes there was a famous Egyptian dancer by the name of Samia Gamal-however whether she taught your teacher I can't confirm or deny. Samia was young girl who began her dance caeer with Badi Masabni's Cairo Opera dinner/nightclub. She later starred in amny Egyptian movies and was considered a star.I'm not aware that she traveled beyond the borders to teach Oriental Dance, but others may have more info. Here's clip of Samia dancing to a compostion by Farid El Atrache. Ask your teacher if she has any pictures of Samia:

More info on Samia:
    Samya Gamaal - the queen of raqs sharki
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I love Samia Gamal. When I watch her films, I don't feel like I'm seeing something that has all the flavor choreographed out of it, the way I do with some of the very modern, very polished-yea, even unto slick- dancers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simone min al Akariyah View Post
    None of my mates had ever heard about this 'person' before, so I knew my teacher did not tell us a lie.
    I don't follow your reasoning here. How does the fact that you and your mates had not heard of Samia Gamal have any bearing on whether or not your teacher was telling the truth?

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Iran has not been officially called Persia since 1935.

You can look up Samia Gamal's biography on the internet, but I've never read that she taught in Iran.

Gamal is not an uncommon name in the Middle East, so perhaps your teacher is mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Default samia gamal

Hi Simone,i think the best person to ask is Morroco i am almost sure she knows....the problem is she is not realy posting here but she is a member so just mail her privatly to make sure she read,s it,cheers Lydia

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

I second Sedonia...don't really get the meaning of that.
    anyways...back to the topic...I agree with Lydia that Morocco is the one to ask, if anyone. I tried to look up some stuff on the web but I only found the usual thing: she spent most of her life in Egypt but was also married for a short while to a rich american...no word of Persia or Iran.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharmine View Post
    Iran has not been officially called Persia since 1935.

Gamal is not an uncommon name in the Middle East, so perhaps your teacher is mistaken.
    But do you think someone would make that kind of a mistake...? I think if studied with a legend I'd remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    But do you think someone would make that kind of a mistake...? I think if studied with a legend I'd remember it.
    First, we'll assume that your teacher is a sane, ethical person with at least average memory who thinks she is telling the truth. If you showed her a photo of the real Ms. Gamal she'd say, "Yep, that's her."

If we discover Ms. Gamal never lived in Iran, let alone taught there, then we may have a case of an imposter who passed herself off as the legend to your teacher and others.

All an imposter would need in the days before the Internet, DNA, and cheap long-distance telephone calls was a reasonably close resemblance to the real Ms. Gamal, a plausible-sounding story, and a passport with information from a faked or stolen birth certificate. If somebody official or otherwise trustworthy also claimed this was the real Ms. Gamal, why wouldn't others believe it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    I don't follow your reasoning here. How does the fact that you and your mates had not heard of Samia Gamal have any bearing on whether or not your teacher was telling the truth?

Sedonia
    I think what she means is that if she was trying to impress them, she would have mentioned somebody they knew and respected. For instance, I could lie to my coworkers at the web development office and tell them I'd studied with Samia Gamal...

but why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast