Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't over thrilled at what I'd heard about Butlins adult weekends. I emailed the organisers because I didn't fancy swanning around in a hipscarf etc. amidst a load of Motown fans and/or stag/hen parties, or trying to sleep while they were doing their thing. (24h bars, OMG )

This is what they said:

We hope that the Congress will grow to a size that will enable us to hire the whole venue in the future. For our first Congress we will be there at the same time as a 'Soul & Motown' weekend.

We will have our own theatre for our shows, our own studios etc. for the workshops and seminars and our own private café/bar next to the bazaar. The Soul & Motown weekenders will not be able to attend our shows or come into any of these areas.

Our accommodation will be in blocks together but we will share the various bars, restaurants, shops and other public areas.
    Which is some reassurance compared to what I saw on another board (that they would use the belly dance shows and events as "free" entertainment for their other guests ).

Anyway if it's too appalling I can escape and be home in an hour or so!

Post Thanks / Like

Urrmmmm, oh dear i dont know what to do now!! Think i still may go though, it is the cost of it really that is putting me off. Something like JOY or Fantasia is alot cheaper and you get to book on workshops

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats Fantasia?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Whats Fantasia?
    It's a festival in London
    Fantasia Festival - Britain's Arabic Dance Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Hi sara, fantasia is a belly dance festival organised by jo wise. It is in london and happens twice a year, it is similar but probably bigger than JOY, lots of teachers and a show on the sat night. The next one is happening at the end of the month and guest teacher is aida nour:
    Fantasia Festival - Britain's Arabic Dance Festival
    I have booked to go on w/shops with aida nour and yasmina..cant wait!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Suhaila's pulled out of the UK Belly Dance Congress: "Unexpected circumstances make it impossible for Suhaila to travel to the congress. We extend our love and support to Suhaila at a difficult time, and we are making arrangements to ensure that you will not be disappointed. Please watch this space for a new announcement"

Those who'll miss her vibrating buttocks might like to know she's been replaced by Fahtiem and her sideways belly roll!

Post Thanks / Like

I am really excited about the congress!!! Cant wait! Not bothered that Suhalia is not going to be there as I mainly want to study with the egyptian teachers.

Post Thanks / Like

hi guys.....i cant wait to meet you all

Post Thanks / Like

how fun, an OD.net meet up. Take pictures gals!

Post Thanks / Like

ok. Butlins was grotty, the workshop rooms were poor and I think could have done with slightly better planning. For example, having a lvl 2 class in a small room doesn't make too much sense as it's likely to be overcrowed (which many classes were) and having a lvl 4 class in the biggest room with a handful of dancers which did happen - but not in every case. Confusing isn't it? Seeing 3 quality shows taking 2 classes with Raqia, 1 with Randa, 2 with Khaled, 1 with Horacio and Heather Burbery sure made up for any inconveniences. For a first time event I thought it went well. I came away wanting to do this every day full time of course I can't but I can dream.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12