Thread: Stage Presence

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stage Presence

I know I really need to work on my stage presence. Any advice out there on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

What is it exactly that you feel is lacking in your presence? Do you not express emotion well? Do you not have enough stage persona? Do you feel you aren't engaging enough?

Post Thanks / Like

I thinks it's more the emotion. In the dance training I had previously (not for belly dancing), we would simply smile the whole time we were on stage. For belly dancing, emotion is so important - and just smiling the whole time doesn't necessarily go with the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick a song you are going to perform to, play it, and lay down somewhere with your eyes shut. Think about the emotion of the song - is it joyous? bittersweet? How does it make you feel? Practice with a couple of songs with different moods.
    Then, try dancing at home to these songs, keeping this emotion flowing. If you can keep in touch with the emotion when you perform you shouldn't have to think about what your face should be doing, it will be doing it anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

MiamiDancer, Ariella has good tips. You could also try to dance at home on the song without a mirror. That really helps, to listen to the song more and not look all the time what you're doing.
    Last edited by Moon; 03-17-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Miamy dancer,there is another thread just posted last week perhaps you can have a look there ....How to entertain...have a nice day Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Something Aziza (the Zilltech Aziza) used to suggest was this:

Put on the music. Listen to it without dancing. Listen to it again. Now imagine yourself somewhere hearing the music. Where are you? What are the sights, sounds, smells, etc. Who is the mizmar player? What's he look like? Who is he to you? Who's the drummer? The idea is to put yourself in a (pretend or real) SITUATION -- and from there you will have a more emotional response to the music, without faking that emotion.

Movement can create internal "drama" in the body. That's what I so loved about what Shareen el Safy was teaching -- the movements actually FELT different when using her (Egyptian) technique.

Maybe try doing a single movement (rather than a combo or choreo) and asking yourself, "How does this FEEL in my body, and how does that physical feeling make me feel emotionally?" To me, that's the key to Oriental dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    Pick a song you are going to perform to, play it, and lay down somewhere with your eyes shut. Think about the emotion of the song - is it joyous? bittersweet? How does it make you feel? Practice with a couple of songs with different moods.
    Then, try dancing at home to these songs, keeping this emotion flowing. If you can keep in touch with the emotion when you perform you shouldn't have to think about what your face should be doing, it will be doing it anyways.

Yes i totally agree with u! you have to understand the words of the song and what kind of story you are telling in your dance.. a song about betrayal for instance will inlove more sharp and turbulant movements with strong eye contact and seductiveness less smiles.... however if the song is more happy the dance will flow alot more and you may include a veil with the dance. you wil smile alot more as well... hopethis helps too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rupa
    a song about betrayal for instance will inlove more sharp and turbulant movements with strong eye contact and seductiveness less smiles.... however if the song is more happy the dance will flow alot more and you may include a veil with the dance.
    I don't think so. This also depends on the kind of music. I don't see why the use of a veil should depend on the mood of a song, and not all sad songs or 'about betrayal' or anything require turbulant sharp moves, they might flow as well, I would never say flowing moves only go with happy songs.
    And seductiveness?? Excuse me but isn't the sexual/seductive connotation something we try to keep from MED instead we make it sensual and not about seduction?? I also am quite confused about how eye contact is a matter in this. When performing you naturally try to connect with the audience, I don't think this makig eye contact depends on the song either, I feel it's about how you emote to a song and how you express this to the audience, connecting with them at the same time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way you put it here doesn't seem right at all.. Ofcourse every interpretation is different and everyone should do it the way they feel, this just sounds quite off IMO.

As for my reaction regarding the topic,
    I think Ariella has good tips and Aziyade's approach works for me perfectly. It's pretty much about feeling the music and from there, deciding what move to use where (as Aziyade describes, 'how does that move feel in your body and how does that feeling make you feel emotionally'). I had a hard time expressing emotions too at first since I was a very she person. But really taking time to listen and understand the music and what it makes me feel personally has helped me a lot in letting go of my shyness and being able to show this in my dance.

Good luck exploring and dancing MiamiDancer!
    Last edited by Yshka; 03-25-2007 at 07:14 PM.