New to belly dancing

M&Mbelly

Hello everybody I am from Texas.. I have only had two classes in bellydancing. It feels like I am doing it wrong so far, but my instructor says I am doing ok.

How do I know if I am moving the right way or not? How can I tell? What part of my body should I feel moving the most?

Last edited:
Hi M&Mbelly, welcome to the forum. As beginners most of the movements will feel mechanical at first, consistent and thoughful practice will help smooth out the rough spots in time. Most new students are really hard on themselves as they expect to nail the movement first time. I don't have that expectation since everyone has a different learning curve. We all start at the beginning and progress as we learn more about our bodies, the music and culture. If your teacher say that you are doing fine, then take her word for it.Enjoy your journey.
Yasmine

da Sage

Hi M&M Belly,

Welcome to the world of belly dance! It's a lot of fun, but it can also be a lot of work. So please be patient with yourself.

To see whether a move is right or not, look in the mirror or ask your teacher. Do remember that the same move will look different on different bodies, and that your moves will get more refined over time.

Enjoy the forum!

Maria_Aya

Hi there and welcome from Athens, Greece.

As a beginer you are gonna feel wierd almost all the time.
It needs time, but it works at the end ;)

So my advice is drills-drills-drills, whenever you can.
Washing dishes and doing shimmies, looking tv and doing undulations, all the time, and it works !!!

Maria Aya:)

Christy

Dear M&Mbelly,

I'm a beginner of learning Belly dance,too. I have lesson since June last year. I try to practise again and again every morning before I go to office. And I'll try in the washroom if there is no other person. hee.......

Best Regards,
Christy